PDA

View Full Version : Re-wiring my dizzy XE, Couple of little hold-ups

r.wadge
01-03-13, 12:23 PM
In the process of trying to rewire my slapped together nova XE. The engine was running but its time to do it properly. It is using the early dizzy setup.

Please bare with me guys, im getting there but these little bits just throw me off.. And all these wires, variations confuse the hell out of me.
The only wires connected from my engine loom were:

Green - revs
Blue/red - fuel pump
blue - water temp

black - Ign switch(this went directly to ignition barrel, not sure if this is correct?)

the blue/white and black/red for starter and alternator were not connected to my engine loom. i can see the wires going into the ecu plug but the blue/white goes to my TPS plug and
the black/red joins with a bunch of black and brown wires and all branch off brown.
i see the thread mentioning the nova plug so do starter/alternator wires not connect via the engine loom? Is it a seperate circuit?

Also i remember reading somewhere that the fuel pump should make a noise for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition, mine makes the noise only as you try and start the engine.

This is my first attempt at wiring and i think i can get most of it in.
Like i said the engine was running but i need to get the ecu in the car and wire up all the diagnostics, guages and mostof al know its done properly. I dont want to just slap it in like it was before to get it running and make it look nice.

Im pretty sure i understand most of the wiring guides on here but if the previous owner hadnt chopped everything up i might have a better chance lol
Any ideas or info would be great.

Cheers guys!

r.wadge
01-03-13, 07:13 PM
I also found a 3 pin plug with a brown/red wire and brown wire, one terminal is empty. The plug has a brown blanking cap with a `B` on it. Dont have a clue what it is. Thought diagnostics first but ive found brown/blue, brown/white and brown/yellow for that.

I know for you guys this thread must be just annoying, but im relatively new to the world of engines and wiring so please bare with me.

Cheers!

jimbob-mcgrew
19-03-13, 02:28 AM
you still working on this mate ?

i was gonna ask what engine & loom in had it in previously, the colours are sometimes different depending on year and model