PDA

View Full Version : My eventful morning

bazzap8389
28-02-13, 11:03 AM
I decided when I was at work that ill go to my lockup and check on my gt4 because I havn't started it up since November. so I charged the battery during the night at work (had to put jump leads onto it to start with as the charger wouldn't charge it)

So I got to my garage, opened the garage door which bent the hinge, and the wood that holds the doors on is rotten.

Then opened the car bonnet and its got white stuff all over all the alloy, oxidisation? I cleaned it all off though. how do I prevent this happening?

Then got the car started, left it running 20 mins or so and got a light on the dash. what does this the light mean as I don't have a handbook for the car? the light that's above the battery light in the pic. Then the volt gauge in the car started to drop quite quickly, fcuked battery maybe?

Then when the battery died I decided time to go home, not before having an absolute mare trying to get the door closed. eventually got it closed then what did I do but snap the key in the lock. so off the b&q for a new one which took ages in the traffic, and finally got home 5 hours after finishing work lol needless to say im not in a very good mood.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu329/bazzap8389/Snapbucket/DFFE02BC_zpsb267fdcf.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu329/bazzap8389/Snapbucket/6D8C9DB2_zpsa4948029.jpg

Rage
28-02-13, 11:09 AM
the light has something to do with the emissions control i believe. I will try to find out for sure for you.

meritlover
28-02-13, 11:29 AM
its the catalyst over temp. it was a requirement on Jap cars in Japan

theres a RTD in the catalytic converter that warns you when its about to melt, or outside its safe working temp. normally comes on due to a missfire/dead cylinder due to pumping raw fuel and air at it, or if theres a sensor fault on the RTD

bazzap8389
28-02-13, 11:33 AM
Thanks, i have a decat pipe to go on anyway just havnt got round to fitting, will this clear the light? the light came on after the car was running for around 20 mins aswell

meritlover
28-02-13, 11:37 AM
it will clear the light as you are removing the cat and the sensor. The thing is, it shouldnt be on at all. Might be worth checking all the obvious things incase you just hide the fault.

if the car has been sitting for a while, it might just be needing a good blast to clear it out and get some heat into it.... But there may also be a genuine fault somewhere. You have a lot of corrosion on the alloy and obvious signs of moisture, you may have some sensor connections which are corroded as well for eg.

bazzap8389
28-02-13, 11:44 AM
Thanks for your help. yeah its been sitting a good few months now. ill have to take it out for a run and see if it clears.

Jack
28-02-13, 03:28 PM
Yep, thats the cat overheat warning. I'm pretty sure its something daft like the UKDM models don't have that whereas the JDM ones do - but the UK manual says not to sit with the car stationary and idling for more than a few minutes (mine is a UK one and says that), but I don't think the Jap manual says anything about it. lol

Do you know how to short the diagnostics plug to check for error codes?

[edit] Where did you get the plasma dials from? I'm after some for mine :)

bazzap8389
28-02-13, 07:03 PM
Its just strange why its came on, i have remote start fitted to it and every morning i would start it up leave it for 10-15 mins so its warmed up and its never came on before.

No idea? what do i do?

Icant remember tbh mate i put them on about 2 years ago but a quick search on ebay and i found a set. it says its for import models though. not sure whether there the same or not.

Novasport
28-02-13, 09:01 PM
I spray WD40 over the alloy to stop it corroding

Jack
28-02-13, 10:29 PM
Icant remember tbh mate i put them on about 2 years ago but a quick search on ebay and i found a set. it says its for import models though. not sure whether there the same or not.
Yeah, UK dials are different. Seen the ones on ebay, performance visuals I think is the seller - they've got a few sets on their website too. Were they much of a job to fit?

Error codes you can check by joining pins TE1 and E1 in the diagnostics plug. Turn the ignition on and the check engine light will flash to report the codes. Probably 54 lol

bazzap8389
28-02-13, 11:55 PM
I spray WD40 over the alloy to stop it corroding

I'll try this next time cheers :)

bazzap8389
28-02-13, 11:59 PM
Yeah, UK dials are different. Seen the ones on ebay, performance visuals I think is the seller - they've got a few sets on their website too. Were they much of a job to fit?

Error codes you can check by joining pins TE1 and E1 in the diagnostics plug. Turn the ignition on and the check engine light will flash to report the codes. Probably 54 lol

Iirc it took about 2.5 hours to do it, that was fitting the 3 gauges aswell though. Was easy enough to put in.

Thanks for that I'll give that a go next time. :thumb:

meritlover
01-03-13, 07:48 AM
[FONT=Century Gothic]
No idea? what do i do?

i wouldnt worry about it until its been on the road again, had a good clean out and warm up. Idle is a horrible state for cars. They dont run clean,warm or have very strong oil pressure. It's only the bare minimum for it to 'live'.
It may well never come back on, but it might be worth checking the engine fault codes as per Jack.

bazzap8389
01-03-13, 12:53 PM
I'll get a new battery for it then take it out for a rip see if it clears.

What sort of spec is your one running jack?

Jack
01-03-13, 05:08 PM
Not much, Aussie 2.75 decat, blitz nur spec-r, apexi filter, forge dv, boost controller @ 1.15bar, few other bits and bobs - suspension, brakes etc. Dunno what the power figures are, never had it on the RR lol

bazzap8389
02-03-13, 12:57 PM
mine has a similar spec :)