PDA

View Full Version : Peugeot 106 GTi

mk1nova_rich
27-02-13, 12:55 PM
My uncle had a gold one from new when I was younger and I thought it was a cracking little car, and now a lad near my work has got one and I'm pretty tempted lol

So I'm after some buying advice. Things to look out for etc...

Southie
27-02-13, 12:57 PM
To give you a starter, have a read of some of this CLICKY (http://106owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?158205-106-gti-common-problems)

Similar to any Peugeot small hatch GTI really.

mk1nova_rich
27-02-13, 12:59 PM
Thank you kindly :) your phone broke anyway? lol

Southie
27-02-13, 01:04 PM
Thank you kindly :) your phone broke anyway? lol
At work lol

ben doodar
27-02-13, 02:45 PM
They tend to rot as well. on my old one the rear chassis leg under the boot floor had rotted quite badly. Also a mates had to do some welding in the front wheel arches and I'm sure under the ecu in the engine bay. Axels wear out on them, gearboxes are prone to going I changed 2 in my old gti. And various friends have changed nuff gearboxes on the gti's/vts.

After all that there Still a cracking car in my opinion.

meritlover
27-02-13, 03:13 PM
i had more experience with the VTs but it is essentially the same car drivetrain wise.

The engines are lively but seriously lack torque they only get away with that because they are so light weight. Very little power until about 4-4.5k (IIRC might even be higher), but once wound up and kept in the right gear they are really fun to drive. for that reason, most of these spend their life near the limiter, so check for frequent oil changes and quality oil. But generally trouble free.

would never own one though.

boy racer fave' so look out for the usual clutch/Gear bag issues, they didnt like it when you tried to beat the syncro.

rear radius bearings wear and can be a nightmare to change. In the same vein, a lot of axles i have seen are badly re assembled after 'mates attempts at loweing' worrying about sheared bolts on the axle is usually considered a wasted 10 mins.

they EAT CV joints. Although im sure thats as most of them were lowered to the deck. check the usual clicking on lock. a good bargaining tool as theyre easy to repair and cheap.

mk1nova_rich
27-02-13, 03:19 PM
Thanks lads, some good info :) I'd be looking out for a tidy standard one with decent history

kent14sr
27-02-13, 03:23 PM
They seem good value for money - the Nova of their day in some ways, small with light revvy engines and good handling - something I always found disappointing on a Corsa B despite their obvious similarities with the Nova.

The only issue I have is the usual Peugeot issue of offset pedals, LHD wipers and questionable build quality.

Edd
27-02-13, 03:35 PM
Seriously the worst car i have ever ever owned, totally shocking

-the turning circle is shocking, a 3 point turn is like 7
-electrics are crap
-torsion beam seized up twice
-a mk2 nova interior has better build quality
-front suspension components, bushes, shocks, rack etc, all fell to bits after a short while

L14MNP
27-02-13, 04:40 PM
^ One of the best you have ever driven though, surely?

From a pure driving aspect, you cannot compare a Nova to a 106 GTi.

(Awaiting the Gaz coilovered, rebuilt Novas Vs a standard, slightly worn GTi...)

Edd
27-02-13, 04:43 PM
^ One of the best you have ever driven though, surely?

my XE nova with a mega bent front chassis leg drove better than that Pug lol

L14MNP
27-02-13, 04:46 PM
I have never known someone so blinkered. Not even to a respectable marque either! lol (I know I am on a Vauxhall forum, but it doesn't mean everything they ever make has to be the dogs bollocks.)

Unless your 106 was shaped like a banana, I am very surprised.

Edd
27-02-13, 04:50 PM
Im not blinkered, i like and would buy many makes of car

BUT im not going to say i like it when i had a shocking experience with a 106, it is the worst car i have ever owned and driven, fact, and i struggle to understand why anyone would rate one, utter crap

L14MNP
27-02-13, 04:53 PM
Fair enough.

I had a diesel one. It was great. lol
I have always had a riot when driving or being driven in, mates old GTi's and VTS's, either stock or with Pugsport bits, hi-specs etc.

A proper little go-kart imo.

Edd
27-02-13, 05:01 PM
I found the main problem with it was it was VERY VERY brittle

I used to live with parents 5 miles out of town in the country, i could hammer a nova up and down the lanes all day long with no problems at all, the Pug would always break if i pushed it, track rods, top mounts, rack, ball joints etc etc, the car i bought was a clean one too, once i started to replace things id replaced 500 miles ago i got rid ASAP lol

L14MNP
27-02-13, 05:03 PM
They are made of cheese like.

All part of the fun as they say! :|

I understand your decision to part with it. lol

paul james
27-02-13, 05:28 PM
I've driven a 1.1 106, the stupidly heavy steering and total lack of room for your feet pedals put me right off. The simplicity of design appeals to me though.

L14MNP
27-02-13, 05:33 PM
You get used to the cramped footwell lol. The first time I drove a Nova, I was pressing on the inner arch instead of the throttle pedal too.

paul james
27-02-13, 05:36 PM
You get used to the cramped footwell lol. The first time I drove a Nova, I was pressing on the inner arch instead of the throttle pedal too.

No comparison! never had any problem with a Nova, had to drive the 106 with about one toes worth of shoe on the accelerator pedal, I'd get too annoyed before getting used to it.

L14MNP
27-02-13, 05:42 PM
No comparison! never had any problem with a Nova, had to drive the 106 with about one toes worth of shoe on the accelerator pedal, I'd get too annoyed before getting used to it.

I agree tbh. The first Nova I drove wasn't my own. Years later when I did buy my own, I didn't have that problem. Yet I did (and probably still would) if I hopped into a 106 after a while away.

Seeing as my 106 was a 1.5 D, the single toe on the throttle business went a long way to contributing towards my awesome SVO MPG. lol

dc1984
27-02-13, 06:25 PM
The last few vts/gti that I have had the only real problems are...
Bigger faults

Ecu's lock by themselves but there is a lad on saxperience that unlocks them iirc it was about £50 he charged,
Power steering pump,
Fuel pumps,
Wiring faults that often mean stripping the entire loom out of the car.
Rear axles often need rebuilt

Smaller faults

Wheel bolts are crap, they snap really easily.
Not everywhere can balance the standard alloys as the don't have a centre hole.
Fuel relays go regularly.

You can pick up engines for £100-200 for low mileage ones, they can be good breakers too.
I've broke 2x vts and 1x gti.
So if you go for one that has a f**ked engine you could get a good deal
On the whole the are decent wee cars that can be found for not much money. Most I've paid was 400 for an 02 reg vts with t&t but an intermittent fault which turned out to be a fuel relay.

David

ben doodar
27-02-13, 06:52 PM
Seriously I know a lad who's had about 30 saxo's and various styles of 106 hes off his head! I know of another lad whos got a turbo'd gti he's spent over 25k on it and is around 400bhp. although its always broken ha ha.

I agree with quite a few things said here. They have no torque theres a hill near me thats known as the killer mile, my nova seh nova would cruise up in 5th gear. The 106 was more like 2nd/3rd. The Ball joint was worn on mine what in turn knackerd the hub/steering knuckle what ever it's called by opening it up where the ball joint goes. I guess they scrimp and save on every corner possible hence the poor build quality.

Everytime I drove it it felt as though it was going to break.
But to be fair mine was a £600 absoloutle nail.

I like the gti for how they drive and unquestionable faster than an xe nova and handle better to. Thinking about it I should of bought a gti for my project car, but for some reason i like novas don't ask me why ha ha.

BENDOGGER
27-02-13, 08:21 PM
One of the best cars i had the gti. Get a later one with half leather for a start. Not as bad as been said i had one prob with mine which was the gearbox.

Prob because of how i drove it. And the fact that it was 182bhp and a shot of NOS. 13seconds flat 1/4mile

mk1nova_rich
27-02-13, 10:33 PM
Not keen on leather at all, prefer full cloth TBH

Novasport
27-02-13, 11:07 PM
I work for Peugeot and I cannot believe how quickly things wear out, break or just fall off on them. The electrics have got a little better in recent years but are still shocking.
They seem to be made of chocolate. I have never seen a car eat clutches so easily either and it seems to be on all of them. Also exhausts & brake discs seem to be made from the metal even China didnt want!
Nice enough to drive but I would never own one.

The wife had a nice low mileage 306 diesel Sport that was not that old. It was the worst car owning experience we ever had. Everything broke, wore out prematurely or fell off it. The final straw was when it decided to try and self combust. The fire brigade came and extinquished it and then it was rapidly PX'd after being repaired for a new car.
It was costing more to repair each month than the finance on her new car(Which she had for four years and loved every minute of the trouble free motoring in).

AndyRandz
27-02-13, 11:07 PM
I like the gti for how they drive and unquestionable faster than an xe nova.

Now this is an extremely bold statement. They're not a great deal quicker than a GTE/GSI.

Edd
27-02-13, 11:34 PM
The only thing a 106 gti will be quicker at than a XE Nova is falling to bits

bazzap8389
27-02-13, 11:36 PM
^ lol lol + rep

L14MNP
27-02-13, 11:53 PM
and taking a corner and a standing quarter and...

They are no slouch.

AndyRandz
28-02-13, 12:03 AM
The only thing a 106 gti will be quicker at than a XE Nova is falling to bits
Dead right there! I'm not anti 106 by any stretch, I own a s1 rallye with a 16valver and had a few gti/vts, but both my old xe novas were a different breed to any of those. Id be hard to guess between a c16xe nova and a 106 gti mind you. As far as handling goes, stock for stock the 106 is better, bare in mind it's essentially 14 years newer than a nova. Spent a fortune on both (coilovers etc) and itd be very similar

AndyRandz
28-02-13, 12:14 AM
and taking a corner and a standing quarter and...

They are no slouch.
Standard they arent up to much, changing the air box and a full exhaust really does waken them up. Again I'm quick to defend them as I do like them but never would one beat a XE up the standing quarter. Maybe in the snow or extremely heavy rain

AndyRandz
28-02-13, 12:22 AM
Apologies to mk1nova rich for not being constructive to you.. My advice to you would be search long and hard for a a newer, low owner, low mileage example.. Soon as these start getting messed with/ thrashed etc sadly they do break. Great cars when running but lots of problems do occur along the way.
If you can find a series 1 rallye or even a decent series 1 these for some reason seem to survive a lot better. To both rusting and mechanical issues! Just drop a 16v in one yourself its pretty easy and cheap enough...
Or just save your money and buy a 1.9 gti 205 its a far better car even if it isn't quite as quick
Andy

John
28-02-13, 07:39 AM
My mate had one for a good few years, the interior quality want that good but it went and handled brilliantly! He had a few issues with his gearbox, and a few coil pack issues but apart from that it was mega. I think you're doing the right thing looking for an unabused low miler. �� :thumb:

ben doodar
28-02-13, 09:06 AM
Now this is an extremely bold statement. They're not a great deal quicker than a GTE/GSI.

I've owned a e16se nova gte a c16se nova gsi then had 2.0 in my gsi and a pug 106 gti. Like I say I'm a nova fan through and through but the gti is faster. Talking from experience not being biased to one or the other.

What's the average worn out xe putting out?

A friends 106 gti was rolling roaded at 142bhp with a 4 branch, pug sport, n 1 of those fancy peugeot airbox jobs + it's handles better.

AndyRandz
28-02-13, 08:04 PM
Some xe engines after years of abuse are flat as a pancake I admit. But a good one generally hasn't lost hardly any hp from new. Your mates gti wasn't standard, so that's not a fair argument. As standard with cats, poor manifold and air box, the 106 isn't that great. Again I'm not biased either. I still own a 106 rallye s1 and i love it. That pulled 151hp on the bp285s when we built it originally. At the time my xe nova had full exhaust, filter and power cap and that made a healthy 160hp on same day.. They pulled virtually identical to about 110mph then the nova crept away.. Bare in mind the 106 was the lightest of all the 106' made by far and it was stripped of the back seats. Standard 106 gti wouldn't get near a Xe nova, it might cling on to 60 tops, that's it

Mike
28-02-13, 08:09 PM
Your mates gti wasn't standard, so that's not a fair argument

So a 2.0 16v motor in a Nova is standard is it?

Ive had a couple of GTi's. 1 was an out an out rally car (ex works chassis on BKV registration) 1 road car that we built into a tarmac car. Both made over 200hp ATF. They were certainly not slow. And then just a road car that I gave death everywhere all the time. Never really had any issues that I can remember (this was like 2004/5ish mind) BUT I know my way around GTi's pretty well so meh.

They dont take crashes well. Espcially anything over 70mph lol

EDIT: Anyway, who gives a flying fcuk about forum hearsay, get a good one & you wont be disappointed! Theres as much fun as a Nova GSi but got PLENTY more scope for over 200hp from the OEM motor. Slap a turbo on it and an XE Nova will look slooooow.

Calamity Josh
28-02-13, 08:18 PM
was out at a meet the other night and some guy walked up and pointed, he said you see that 106 gti over there it's really tidy, had this, this, this, this, and this done to it, interested in a straight swap for your nova? i laughed in his face and walked off lol

Mike
28-02-13, 08:20 PM
i laughed in his face and walked off lol

Dont blame you, as GTi's are worth funk all now. Shame really, as standard there not far off XE Nova qaurter mile times. Only around half a second in it.

Southie
28-02-13, 08:26 PM
I'd rather have a 306 gti6, cheap as chips theses days.

Spudly
28-02-13, 08:34 PM
Only scan read this, but it always amuses me when people dont or wont rate 106 GTi's or saxo VTS's, and say theyre slow compared to a nova xe....

Tell you what, bung a pug 306 GTi-6 engine and box into a 106 GTi, then race it against a standard nova GSi, and tell me what the results are, or shall i tell you...

The nova will lose, plain and simple, but its not a fair comparison as the 106 isnt standard, yet the nova is, you cannot compare a car with an engine conversion, to a standard car!

In standard trim, novas are shoite, plain and simple :p

Edd
28-02-13, 08:35 PM
I'm not disputing there quick tbh, they just fall to bits lol

Calamity Josh
28-02-13, 08:39 PM
Dont blame you, as GTi's are worth funk all now. Shame really, as standard there not far off XE Nova qaurter mile times. Only around half a second in it.
along with the fact it was in the horrible gold and i'd never get insured on it

Adam
28-02-13, 08:52 PM
106 gti's and VTS's are great motors!

Yes they are built ****e, have crap interiors. But they are simple, handle, and have a 1600 16v engine that makes vauxhalls 1600 16v look daft!
Most people dont realise how nippy they actually are, and they do 45+ to the gallon!

But a XE nova is far quicker.
Out the box though, gti and vts are a bargain for a nippy hatchback or cheap track car!

AndyRandz
28-02-13, 10:08 PM
So a 2.0 16v motor in a Nova is standard is it?

You stand correct. Initial argument was claimed a 106 gti to be quicker than a Xe powered nova. Nothing was said about modifications added just assumed with stock motors was the comparison. It doesn't matter either way both are still cracking fun to drive. I stand no gain in defending either just merely staing a point

AndyRandz
28-02-13, 10:11 PM
106 gti's and VTS's are great motors!

Yes they are built ****e, have crap interiors. But they are simple, handle, and have a 1600 16v engine that makes vauxhalls 1600 16v look daft!
Most people dont realise how nippy they actually are, and they do 45+ to the gallon!

But a XE nova is far quicker.
Out the box though, gti and vts are a bargain for a nippy hatchback or cheap track car!

Summed this up perfectly... Except maybe the 45+ to the gallon! I've always found them to be terrible on fuel! Maybe that's just because they do need to be driven quite hard to reach theyre powerband

grooge
01-03-13, 03:34 PM
I had a vts, nice low milage car, broke constantly.

they're made of cheese, absolutely everything breaks on them, gearboxs, cv's, driveshafts, bits off the interior fall off, even the rubber round the windscreen ripped off mine driving down the motorway one day

all my mates have had problems with theirs aswell

i'd still get another one though....

faker
01-03-13, 03:48 PM
They are great wee cars, 106 gti's and saxo vts go like stink and handle like nothing else on the road, when left alone and the suspension is not messed with. For the money the only thing that trumps them is the Clio sport 172/182. They go like stink, will smoke a tuned red top nova all day long, unfortunately they too fall into sh,1,te!

Adam
01-03-13, 04:32 PM
Summed this up perfectly... Except maybe the 45+ to the gallon! I've always found them to be terrible on fuel! Maybe that's just because they do need to be driven quite hard to reach theyre powerband
Exactly that...
With them being so light they get decent mpg on slight throttle/motorway.

My mate had a ph2 vts that i didnt want to admit was quite nice, but it was. lol
Handled stupidly well.

Then the rear beam needed rebuilding, gearbox broke, and engine mount broke in half...
Got to be a downside i guess lol

vauxluva
01-03-13, 04:36 PM
give me an ax gt any day of the week

matthew172
01-03-13, 09:47 PM
Only scan read this, but it always amuses me when people dont or wont rate 106 GTi's or saxo VTS's, and say theyre slow compared to a nova xe....

Tell you what, bung a pug 306 GTi-6 engine and box into a 106 GTi, then race it against a standard nova GSi, and tell me what the results are, or shall i tell you...

The nova will lose, plain and simple, but its not a fair comparison as the 106 isnt standard, yet the nova is, you cannot compare a car with an engine conversion, to a standard car!

In standard trim, novas are shoite, plain and simple :p

what he said

im a big fan of the 106 gti, had one and loved it and id buy another tomorrow

Alex J
02-03-13, 07:34 AM
gearboxs, my pal is on his 14th box now lol, aprt from that, they look cool, and handle the bollocks, as stated, rear beam bushes, and rot in the boot, i would own one!

Andy
02-03-13, 08:24 AM
Longtime l0lz in here.
Novver redtopz it are fastest thing evvvaaaar
Coz the forum sez so