PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 diesel timing belt renewal

Rage
26-02-13, 10:02 AM
i can sort out timing belts all day long on the 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 and 2litre 8 valve petrol engines with no locking kit but i have no idea on my 1.5 diesel engine in my nova van has anyone done a timing kit on a 1.5 diesel to say if i need the locking kit or if it is possible (even if it is harder/longer) to fit correctly without the locking kit as it's over £100 for the locking kit and my van has hit 72000 miles so it's the service period for the timing belt.

thanks in advance

meritlover
26-02-13, 10:11 AM
Its been years since ive done one, but im sure you can do it with a drill bit in the fuel pump pulley.

Rage
26-02-13, 10:30 AM
what about the alignment of the cam and crankshafts? the haynes manual i have is for the 1.6 diesel from 1982 to 1987 mine is a 1993 1.5. the haynes manual is showing the diesel pump at the front of the engine mine is at the back and it is saying the camshaft has no tdc marks. would i be able to find tdc on the crank pulley then mark all other pulleys wherever they may sit to make my own tdc marks then when i put the new belt on just make sure they all line up and then rotate the engine by hand to make sure they all line up after a full rotation?

burgo
26-02-13, 11:05 AM
Easy as fook. You used bolts out of the cam cover to lock cam and pump pulleys. Honestly couldn't be easier

Rage
26-02-13, 11:19 AM
seriously!?! so i'm nervous about naff all then? once i have it all done how many turns of the crank should make everything line back up. i think the 8 valve petrol engines it's two complete rotations of the crank to one of the cam. i just want to rotate everything by hand to make sure its all good before bending something trying to start her up

mowgli
26-02-13, 12:00 PM
mark it all up with tippex or a china pencil before removal.. its only 3 pulleys, and it is covered in the gm diesel engine book.

burgo
26-02-13, 12:26 PM
seriously!?! so i'm nervous about naff all then? once i have it all done how many turns of the crank should make everything line back up. i think the 8 valve petrol engines it's two complete rotations of the crank to one of the cam. i just want to rotate everything by hand to make sure its all good before bending something trying to start her up

Yes seriously. How anyone can charge for a locking kit when gm effectively supply one is beyond me. Yes if you do two full rotations of the crank you will know if its locked up or not. Im not sure how you could get it wrong though to be honest

Rage
26-02-13, 12:27 PM
sweet so easier than i was expecting the haynes vauxhall diesel book i have is for the 1.6 from 1982 to 1987 from the astra belmont cavalier and ascona and the diagrams show everything back to from i.e. diesel pump on the front of the block instead of the back. it also goes into exposing the camshaft to measure with a dti where it is etc etc but says nothing about timing belt renewal if you haven't got the locking kit :tard:

Rage
26-02-13, 12:28 PM
cheers all will head out to pick up my timing kit

Rage
27-02-13, 07:03 PM
finally got to fit my new timing belt kit today all done in 5 and half hours thanks to the engine mount not playing ball. It was alot easier (bar the engine mount) than i thought it would be as everyone has stated the long case bolt fits to lock the cam pulley and i used a snapped exhaust clamp as the threads for the diesel pump.
so now she has new glow plugs, timing belt (inc idler and tensioner), alternator belt and air filter. so i should have a few miles before any engine complaints now.

cheers for the help people.

burgo
27-02-13, 07:29 PM
Dont suppose you took pics qs you were doing it? Could make a guide for others

Rage
28-02-13, 11:17 AM
i took a couple but i don't think there would be enough for a guide but i will give it a go.
but there is this guide for a 1.7td vectra that is damn near identical except the engine mount. the nova one is still a 2 piece but slightly different design and alot more of a struggle to get it out than in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu6FunG8vYY