PDA

View Full Version : SR or SRI, which is best

slatesmate
21-08-03, 02:55 PM
Is a nova SRI better than an SR (1.4). And does an SRI have the same Bosch jettronic multipoint injection as the GTE. I am only 17 so wont be modding it much due to insurance reasons so which would be best. And does the SRI have the same suspension and brakes as the GTE and the SR dosent, this is what i have read somewhere and dont know if it is true.

Ballsy
21-08-03, 03:14 PM
there alot ov ppl that will say that one is better than the other and otheres say the other one is better, but what do they know, the sri is a better car all round, its faster and has better brakes etc than a sr

Ballsy

DazK
21-08-03, 03:48 PM
1.4SRi = 82Bhp
1.4SR=72bhp

SKoob
21-08-03, 03:49 PM
a 1.4SR isn't alot quicker than a 1.3SR and certainly not as good as an SRi, i think all the suspension on GTE's, GSi's, SR's etc are the same, but not certain on that..

Euan
21-08-03, 03:54 PM
sr will be a bit easier to work with etc though.

Will
21-08-03, 04:53 PM
SRI has GSI shell with SRI engine in effect (minus tilt slide sunroof, unless u chose that option of course when it was brought new) id go with SRI

newer shell and as ur 17 fastest "standard" engined nova u can afford to insure i think (group 7)

Dicko
21-08-03, 05:40 PM
sr will be a bit easier to work with etc though.

i disagree having owned both. hardly anything goes wrong with the sri and they never need tuning etc. ecu handlws all that. also no winter problems with carb

brian
21-08-03, 05:44 PM
i disagree having owned both. hardly anything goes wrong with the sri and they never need tuning etc. ecu handlws all that. also no winter problems with carb
very true i second that. years back i had a 1.4sr engine fitted in a Nova and during cold weather i got so pissed off with trying to get it to run right i put multi point injection on it and never had a problem

Ste_Nova
21-08-03, 06:09 PM
but when the sri goes wrong parts are rare and ???

geordie_racer
21-08-03, 06:33 PM
id say go with the sri as it's runnin the injection system which makes it a better start 4 an engine conversion when ur older than the carb. only problem with injections is they cost more when they go wrong.
the sr isn't bad but u so need 2 put a 1.2 carb head on it if u buy 1.
both will b mk2 so no diff there either it really will b a case of wots best when u go 2 look at them, oh yeah n ud prob get an sr cheaper but it's more likely been thrashed

mikeyredtop
22-08-03, 12:31 PM
sri i pay 425 on insurance and its faster than a gsi...

Will
22-08-03, 01:18 PM
wot mods u done for the added 20 extra horses....

Rick Draper
22-08-03, 01:27 PM
SRI has GSI shell with SRI engine in effect (minus tilt slide sunroof, unless u chose that option of course when it was brought new) id go with SRI

newer shell and as ur 17 fastest "standard" engined nova u can afford to insure i think (group 7)

Incorrect all SRi's came with a tilt and slide sunroof as they are all GSi shells and all them came with tilt and slide sunroofs. If you have a GSI/SRI without a tilt and slide sunroof its been reshelled. Rick

MC
22-08-03, 01:33 PM
My Opinion:

If you are not planning to do much to it, get the SRi, it will be easier to live with. There are easy gains to be had from the engine, but eventually the standard injection will limit you.

If you plan to go really extreme and want a very fast Nova, use the SR, ITS LIGHTER!

MC

PE4
22-08-03, 05:00 PM
As both of the cars have plus and minus sides, I would get the one that has the least rust. When I got my first nova I had a choice of an SR or SRi, and a random guy passing said 'get the rust free one'....so I did and five years on my Nova is still with me....I took the SR btw.

!!!!!!Avoid the tin worm at all costs!!!!!!

mikeyredtop
22-08-03, 05:25 PM
mines got a tilt and slide sunroof and four branch manifold, boost valve, skimmed ported and matched head k&n soon to have chipped ecu. also straight through jaspeed.... not sure on bhp but ive had a gsi before and this is well faster up to 60 defo

Paul16v
23-08-03, 12:24 PM
if i was you i would get a sri!!my old 1 used be as almost quick as gsi.when i put a gsi engine in it i was fairly dissapointed it was only quicker afterabout 120mph!!!

novaexplod
28-08-03, 11:54 PM
id say the sri is just as quick as gsi amd cheaper insurance too.

leepwoollard
29-08-03, 01:05 AM
i have an sri without a tilt and slide sun roof and i know 4 sure that it hasnt been re-shelled and my mate has one with same sun roof as mine as well go 4 the sri i have had both and the sri is far better

craig green
02-09-03, 05:37 PM
go for the SRi, they are basically 1.4 GSi's. The 1.4 is revvier than the 1.6. The inj system will help you get good economy. The heads are really restrictive too which is great-cos it has more power than the carb model yet has the potential with a Blydenstein B+ head to really fly.. Trust me.
True they are as quick as 1.6s but not in 5th gear where the 16 really pulls. The inj system is nothing like that of the GTE. Just dont spoil the body work!!

Paul
03-09-03, 05:54 PM
SRi's are rarer, so would therefore cost more. You would be hard pushed to find a non ragged mint one.

So why not go for the 1.4 sr, get a 1.2 head and webber 32/34 carb. Then it would beat SRi anyway.

Its then cheaper, my carb 32/34 inlet and filter- ?40, modded head, gas flowed, ported and skimmed, ?40.

Extra ?80 plus ?100 fitting, say ?180 and you have a car that is faster than the SRi.

As someone has said, Ste, SRi's are very expnsive to fix, SR's are easier, easier to come by and therefore more likely to be RUST FREE, or therabouts and in good nick?

craig green
04-09-03, 11:27 AM
As for prices I beg 2 differ. A friend of mine bought a locally owned SRi for 300quid last week a black thats had it for nearly 5 yrs. Recently she hit the back bumper off of it. When I heard of this I looked in the AdMart and saw 3 SRi's for 3-500quid! As for the tuning of engines I dont doubt the ability of the 32/34 carb but you seemed to have acquired it very cheap and you must be related to Bill Blydenstein to get good head that cheap!! interesting argument this one...........

leepwoollard
04-09-03, 11:44 AM
yer that is cheap and that is to make it as fast as a standard sri u up 4 getting my head done that cheap

Paul
04-09-03, 08:08 PM
I'm buying one second hand, which has already had work done on it, off of a regular member on NL.

I understand that the work was done by another regular on NL.

I'm not going to mention names though.

Nova-Flair
05-09-03, 11:27 PM
i would go for SRi just for the fact that it is more reliable and faster than the SR as standard. i mean with the mods you would need to get the SR to standard SRi power + these mods will increase your insurance premium. not worth it.