PDA

View Full Version : Z16Xe to X16XE Engine Mounting Issue

NitrousVaux
23-02-13, 08:09 PM
Right,

Been down to ChrisGSI and bought a good looking X16XE engine to put in my missus daily driver Meriva.

Just about to get the lump in and oh crap, the engine mount is different. I mean way different.

The car had a z16xe originally and the mount is in the centre of the cambelt but the mount does not seem to fit the X16xe.

I am thinking of making up my own mount tomorow to get the engine in, but has anyone had similar issues.

Cheers,

boomtings1
23-02-13, 08:15 PM
You may have to change cambelt covers?

peester
23-02-13, 08:19 PM
hmm. Ala corsa 1.6 VXR engine then..?
So perhaps newer small blocks (?) after a certain production year have different mount points on the engine itself..?
Ide have said a z16xe has been fitted into novas/corsas etc before - uses same small block mounts as the previous generations have.
They must have been earlier versions of the engine..?

mowgli
23-02-13, 08:23 PM
z16se is basically a gsi lump

Z16XE is a totally different beasty.. the blocks are different, but the basic engine is the same.... i'd say go & find the right engine. it will be way easier to fit.

peester
23-02-13, 09:51 PM
i meant z16xe - the more recent stuff.

Southie
23-02-13, 10:01 PM
Iirc on Gunnys Nova conversion when making his VXR he had to make a mount to make his fit into the offside chassis leg.

As Mowgli said your best finding the correct engine to suit.

NitrousVaux
23-02-13, 10:56 PM
mmmm maybe. I may have been jumping a tad quick. I had another look this evening and it may be something very simple. I need to get both cambelt covers off, but it seems the z16xe to incorporate the new style mount, relocates the cam belt runner to a wider location to enable the mount to fit on the meriva.

So with my Z16xe cambelt and the covers, I think it can work. The basic engine design is the same, tbh its very similar for all GM engines.

I will report back.

NitrousVaux
24-02-13, 07:25 PM
woo it fits! mm now to wire it in!