PDA

View Full Version : does this make anyone angry etc

shaunboy84
22-02-13, 10:32 PM
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b624/shaunboy841/76032_535786206454411_927914994_n_zps6ee5264a.jpg: eek::eek::eek:

Novasport
22-02-13, 10:35 PM
The pot holes or the grafitti?

Stuart
22-02-13, 10:35 PM
Nope because we don't pay road tax and haven't for a long time... We pay ved, vehicle excise duty.

dc1984
22-02-13, 10:36 PM
Looks like every road in the uk mate, shocking!!!

shaunboy84
22-02-13, 10:37 PM
holes like that haha renfrewshires roads are getting just as bad,

Stuart
22-02-13, 10:37 PM
It's just as bad if not worse in Italy and their vehicle tax is masses more than ours.

dc1984
22-02-13, 10:43 PM
I know what ye mean shaun mate, I've got to really watch when I'm driving my caddy, already buckled the two passenger side alloys this month. It's only a matter of time before I crack a sump!

mowgli
22-02-13, 10:47 PM
we have had several winters of extreme cold, with the massive amounts of water that have saturated the ground & worked its way under the tarmac, which has then blown in places when a sharp frost freezes the pockets of water, i'd have expected more water damage.

and its another reason why us old codgers still use rubber bushes & softer, higher suspension on our cars.

oh, and 'road friendly' air suspension on trucks is a massive lie.. trucks used to have multi leaf springs. they self damped, so usually did not have external dampers. modern air bag designs use external dampers, and these knacker up really quickly.... watch a wagon go over a bump & you'll see it bounce for 1/2 mile afterwards.. then look at roads that take tons of hgv traffic (a14 etc) and the grooves in the surface are so deep that you can let your hands off the wheel safe in the knowledge that it will follow the groove for miles!!!!!!

brainsnova
22-02-13, 10:47 PM
I just swerve round them and await reckless driving lol

shaunboy84
22-02-13, 10:55 PM
i like getting educated hehe yeah dc1984 there really bad, coming into houston from inchinnan mines bottomed out today, heard alot a nasty noises underneath, lucky a have a fresh gm sump spare haha

steviegsi
22-02-13, 10:58 PM
and the grooves in the surface are so deep that you can let your hands off the wheel safe in the knowledge that it will follow the groove for miles!!!!!!

Quite a surprise the first time you experience that! lol

novalew
22-02-13, 11:19 PM
Sump guard anyone?

shaunboy84
22-02-13, 11:24 PM
defo needed, was going average speed limit haha

burgo
22-02-13, 11:25 PM
Balloon tyres ftw!

Jack
22-02-13, 11:29 PM
Balloon tyres ftw!
This.

Oh how they laughed! HAH

Southie
23-02-13, 07:34 AM
Public transport FTW is more me at the minute lol

mk1nova_rich
23-02-13, 08:45 AM
Nope because we don't pay road tax and haven't for a long time... We pay ved, vehicle excise duty.

Well that makes it ok then :wtf::tard: surely the authorities have a duty to keep the roads in a SAFE condition. I bet they have better roads in Burkina Faso

Spudly
23-02-13, 10:32 AM

This exactly, ive seen loads of people 'sharing' that pic on facebook, and its amused the hell out me that they actually have no idea what road 'tax' actually is, hasnt been the 'road fund licence' for many years now!

Its annoying as fook that the roads are in such a horrific condition, but its alright as were british, we will moan like buggery, but actually do nothing about it because were all too scared!

Stuart
23-02-13, 02:28 PM
Well that makes it ok then :wtf::tard: surely the authorities have a duty to keep the roads in a SAFE condition. I bet they have better roads in Burkina Faso

It's not ok, but we need to understand that tax on fuel and tax on ownership of a car does not go to maintaining the roads (well ok it does but not as much as raised I imagine).
Lots of local roads were handed back to the councils rather than being under highways agency maintenance.

Odds on roads in Burkina Faso have many orders of magnitude less cars on them so won't wear lol

Edd
23-02-13, 03:01 PM
Fully shafted with fuel duty
Road tax not actually going on roads
Road tax being a complete joke on a half decent car

What next

Stuart
23-02-13, 03:04 PM
High tax on sugar laden soft drinks. Because people are too stupid to moderate themselves

MK999
23-02-13, 03:05 PM
No I have a ridiculous metabolism that allows me to get away with it, there's a difference.

Edd
23-02-13, 03:06 PM
WTF does it have to do with anyone else if someone wants to load them selves up with 5L of pop ffs?

I make a load of them type of drinks lol

Edd
23-02-13, 03:07 PM
No I have a ridiculous metabolism that allows me to get away with it, there's a difference.

Wait till you hit 30, you be banging the weight on lol

Stuart
23-02-13, 03:08 PM
WTF does it have to do with anyone else if someone wants to load them selves up with 5L of pop ffs?

I make a load of them type of drinks lol

Smokers are kind enough to pay their way for NHS treatment due to the tax paid.
Similar with booze.
Idiots drinking 5l of sugar a day need a hi-ab to get them to hospital and don't tend to pay their way :lol:

MK999
23-02-13, 03:08 PM
ok well 5L is a bit excessive, maybe 2L in a day lol

You must have had way more practice nicking drinks off the line :p

MK999
23-02-13, 03:09 PM
Wait till you hit 30, you be banging the weight on lol

They said that about 18, and 21, and 25! So far so good lol

Edd
23-02-13, 03:12 PM
ok well 5L is a bit excessive, maybe 2L in a day lol

You must have had way more practice nicking drinks off the line :p

Yeah I do 2L a day when I'm on shift lol

Had to give up Smoothies tho, put on 2stone lol

MK999
23-02-13, 03:14 PM
I thought smoothies were supposed to be healthy, hence then "innocent" name and all that lark lol

Edd
23-02-13, 03:18 PM
There pure fruit tho, so full of sugar, OK if you have a 250ml but bad once you start having 2L ever 12 hour shift lol

MK999
23-02-13, 03:21 PM
At least you don't can up red bull and relentless, you'd be dead in a year lol

Edd
23-02-13, 03:23 PM
Funny you say that, Relentless is subsidized by the company canteen lol 70p a can lol

MK999
23-02-13, 03:25 PM
Bargain! you can't even get the 6 packs for that. How much to post? That stuff is rescuing my dissertation atm lol

L14MNP
24-02-13, 04:09 PM
We may.not pay 'road tax' any more, but the roads should still be kept in better condition - using some of our tax money.

Have the 'you should our roads round here' posts been thrown up yet?

They're all ****ed. Everywhere.

mowgli
24-02-13, 05:22 PM
for once i agree with you on something limp.. the roads are shocking all over england. even the motorways have such massive pot holes that we change lanes to avoid some of them....[cough] M25 [cough]......

the highways depts also hang on to their budgets till late feb just in case of a major bridge failure or a drain collapse, and when they reckon they can get away with it, they use up their remaining budget really quick so they have no underspend by the last day of march. so there is a lot of patching going on now.

Novasport
24-02-13, 06:18 PM
What gets my back up is when councils resurface a road then utilities companies stroll along a month later and rip it all back up again. Or as on the A52 inner ring road in Derby, they spent millions widening the road and put in an extra lane, then they bottle necked it further along the one way system by putting in a totally unnecessary bus lane going the other way?!?!? A year later they are ripping it all up again further along to do more repairs that is going to take 6 months. They have put a set of fcuking traffic lights on a dual carriageway and closed off two lanes so the traffic is horrendous. The closed off lanes are strewn with diggers that are mostly inactive and roadworkers stood around doing sod all. They sould be on the job round the clock getting it done quicker. Japan rebuilt a motorway in weeks after that earthquake or whatever it was, it takes years here.
Also further along the A52 the utilities company ripped all the road up recently. Guess what, they finished it a month or so ago and they are back again and have ripped it up again, fecking morons!!!!!!

L14MNP
24-02-13, 09:04 PM
The main problem is that afaik, there isn't a standard to which roads should be layed or repaired.

mowgli
24-02-13, 09:24 PM
/\ oh yes there is. roads are classified in about 10 different specs, depending on classification, ie. Mway, A road, B road etc...

there are strict specs for stone sub base, base tarmac & topping, and also tar jointing.

the only problem is that it is basically guesswork to hand lay tarmas... when i first got involved in tarmac laying, i rang 3 local quarries to try & get laying specs, and guides to tonnes per m2, and guess what???? they don't do them.. we basically had to ask a local tarmac contractor how much to buy & work from there...we were in a panic for a few jobs, but laying a domestic driveway is hardly rocket science, whereas building an adopted public highway, with the correct cambers & falls is a fair bit harder. the main issue is that you have to lay the base, then roll the feck out of it, then before its cooled, you lay the topping & roll the feck out of that too.. as it squashes, you need to have a damn good idea how thick to lay it before you roll it to get the right finish.. the utilities companies push their patching staff really hard & their quality control leaves a lot...

also, the utilities companies have an automatic permit to dig, whereas if a small company needs to dig, it takes weeks to get the maps, surveys, permits etc... so they can simply dig a hole to do a repair. it gets to be somewhat uncoordinated.. like in hinckley just before xmas, when 5 out of the 6 main roads into town were all dug up at the same time if its scheduled maintenance, its meant to be agreed with the council first, the same inspector allowed all the works at the same time....

mk1nova_rich
26-02-13, 10:11 AM
There pure fruit tho, so full of sugar, OK if you have a 250ml but bad once you start having 2L ever 12 hour shift lol

This lol my mate starting bringing these super healthy yogurt drinks to work...turned out there was 56% of his daily sugar in one carton lol diabetes anyone?

meritlover
26-02-13, 10:18 AM
The main problem is that afaik, there isn't a standard to which roads should be layed or repaired.

I also hate how public roads are ripped up and used as a conduit for private utilities companies.
maybe there isnt a 'standard', but there should be and if there is, it should be adhered to. If the road is dug up to a water main for eg then the council should inspect the standard of repair and refuse to sign it off until its suitable. So often there isnt the right amount of sub base replaced so the surface subsides after a week, or the sides of the join arent sealed or if there was Shell-grip there to start with its not replaced on the repair.

If the council make them do a better job, they'll just say it will cause more delays or cost more to the customer so they fold and give in. Ultimately it costs us more in money and delays in the long run!

mowgli
26-02-13, 11:58 AM
ml, the standards are there for all to see, its called the streetworks act, and you must be streetworks licenced to do the work. you would be astounded just how many old roads are nowhere near spec, and simply digging thru the top will massively affect the integrity of the surface...as for tar jointing, i recently saw a utilities contractor laying some sticky tape down on the joints, and he said it was the latest thing as tar is dangerous and they were worried about injuring the public!!!!, it is about as hot as a good cup of tea when it is poured onto the joint..

the one really crap thing they usually do either out of ignorance or to skimp on material is that for example, they need to cut a 12" trench.. good practise for doing a 12" trench would be to actually cut out 16" of surface, then dig a 12" trench, this leaves 2" of original sub base each side of the trench. when you backfill & compact the trench, & re-lay a tar road surface, there is a lot less chance of it sinking. but obviously, 16" is 33% wider than 12" so its 33% more money to lay..

meritlover
26-02-13, 12:18 PM
they need to cut a 12" trench.. good practise for doing a 12" trench would be to actually cut out 16" of surface, then dig a 12" trench, this leaves 2" of original sub base each side of the trench. when you backfill & compact the trench, & re-lay a tar road surface, there is a lot less chance of it sinking. but obviously, 16" is 33% wider than 12" so its 33% more money to lay..

thats how i would do it.
once the sub base is gone the surrounding edges sag..letting water sit in the un sealed join. Then (as they typically rip the trench where the wheels run in) the water is squirted down ripping the tar apart until its a mahoosive pot hole.

its as much the councils fault as the contractors.

mowgli
26-02-13, 12:24 PM
well, in our area, the inspector is a woman with no previous trade experience... and the work area she covers is massive, so she often doesn't get round till its covered over & jointed.. the previous inspector always made sure you let him look first, until he was convinced of your work & would trust you to do it.. we liked him, and built a few roads for public adoption with him. when you do that, after 12 months, it has to be assessed & repaired if necessary, then it becomes an adopted road.... patching is not covered by those rules.

meritlover
26-02-13, 02:28 PM
often its the same contractors who do the digging-up that do the repairs in 6 months time. theres not much incentive to do a good job!