PDA

View Full Version : How to stop mould

novadave24
22-02-13, 07:09 PM
Ive had my nova in my garage for about 5 months now and under a cover went to put some parts in it yesterday and i found the streeing wheel is getting mould on it but it dont smell in it how can i stop this from getting anywere easle in there the garage is dry as well rep will be given :thumb:

cheers dave :)

Novasport
22-02-13, 07:11 PM
Clean it before you put it away. Use an antibacterial spray maybe and put moisture traps in the car.

Southie
22-02-13, 07:13 PM
Get some silica gel, leave the windows open slightly for air to flow as well.

novadave24
22-02-13, 07:18 PM
were can i get moisture traps from ?

i was thinking off putting the windows down abit but think i have to open the sunroof because battery is flat so windows wont move lol

Jon_nova1
22-02-13, 07:20 PM
EBay, or you can get dehumidifiers that you plug in to dry them out then put them wherever, cost about £10, it's either that or leave the cover off

novadave24
22-02-13, 07:24 PM
so having the cover on dont help ? and i have a look on the ebay for them cheers :)

Edd
22-02-13, 07:24 PM
Cover off, windows down, supermarket for some moisture traps, job done

novadave24
22-02-13, 07:39 PM
i only put the cover on to keep it clean ok i take the cover off tomorrow and i have a look in asda tomorrow as well :)

Jon_nova1
22-02-13, 07:47 PM
No, the cover will trap the moisture and turn the inside of the car into a nice breeding ground, that's probably why it started growing mould in the first place

Spudly
22-02-13, 08:02 PM
If the battery is flat, then youre obviously not running the engine every so often, which is also not good, id personally leave the cover on, but bung the windows down about an inch, just take off the cover once a week and air it out, and run the car for a bit aswell whilst youre there!

mikey093
22-02-13, 08:05 PM
Is it just around the steering wheel? Any around the footwell

Novasport
22-02-13, 08:13 PM
I assume it is in a garage? Get a good breathable cover for it. If you get good moisture traps there is no need to open any windows as it will let more air i which contains more moisture!
I buy my traps from Morrisons, they are quite large and only £3 each. Put two in the car and one in the boot.

novadave24
23-02-13, 05:39 PM
yeah it was just around the steering wheel footwell is all clean :)

novadave24
23-02-13, 05:42 PM
I assume it is in a garage? Get a good breathable cover for it. If you get good moisture traps there is no need to open any windows as it will let more air i which contains more moisture!
I buy my traps from Morrisons, they are quite large and only £3 each. Put two in the car and one in the boot.

iam going to go Morrisons monday and i buy some and yeah i have it in a garage i did have a look in asda but they dont have the traps lol

Spudly
23-02-13, 05:45 PM
Is it just around the steering wheel? Any around the footwell

When cars are left to stand for a while, its the steering wheel and seat belts that grow mould first, as theyre covered in grease and bacteria from the drivers hands, it would take a fair while for seats to go fusty and mouldy!

If there is a leak you tend to find mushrooms grow in the footwells before mould does lmao lol

novadave24
23-02-13, 05:47 PM
well after work today i took the cover off and pulled the nova out the garage gave it a quck wash and cleaned the streeing wheel up so its all nice got the windows down a bit and open the sunroof a bit as well got some pics will be in my progect thread :)

novadave24
23-02-13, 05:51 PM
When cars are left to stand for a while, its the steering wheel and seat belts that grow mould first, as theyre covered in grease and bacteria from the drivers hands, it would take a fair while for seats to go fusty and mouldy!

If there is a leak you tend to find mushrooms grow in the footwells before mould does lmao lol

thank god i have no leaks dont want mushrooms coming up everywere lol and the seat belts are all fine thank god i got the battery on charge now as well so i can run it for a bit every over day iam going to do as well :)

Spudly
23-02-13, 06:20 PM
Definately a good idea to keep it charged and run it up a couple of times a week, is it on sorn?

novadave24
23-02-13, 06:42 PM
yeah its sorn from the end of jan i done it i miss the sound of it as well so need to hear it ;)

Spudly
23-02-13, 06:47 PM
Thats a shame, as they dont like being stood, i retaxed mine in december, only been out twice so far (dry days only) but its better than being stood completely:thumb:

novadave24
23-02-13, 06:57 PM
i can still drive it were my garage is there is a back road i can drive it up and down for a bit :)

Spudly
23-02-13, 07:11 PM
Thats not too bad then, i found when i put mine back on the road, when i took it out it had a misfire until properly warmed up/hot, im talking half an hour to an hour of driving before it stopped, happened a the last couple of times i ran it up aswell, but i went for a right good blast the other day and it was fine!

So you may want to consider re-taxing early and getting it out on the few dry days were having like today by the looks of your wip thread pics :thumb:

novadave24
23-02-13, 07:22 PM
cheers mate i love yours looks nice love the blue :) i hope mine done have any problems but if there is then have to sort it lol i need to give the engine bay a clean up looks a bit dusty on the engine lol i got the red ht leads and super 4 plugs in it so hope it sould be ok lol

Spudly
23-02-13, 07:25 PM
Aye both got a rare shade, yours is lazer and mines regatta!

I reckon mine could benefit from leads and coilpack as theyve not been changed yet, has got GM plugs in though, put them in before she was finished, cant beat them, specially when the guy @ vaux lets me have them on trade club, something like £1.26 each lol

novadave24
23-02-13, 07:34 PM
cor thats a good price my super fours cost £20 lol but then i did go halfords are the gm plugs better then ?

Spudly
23-02-13, 07:39 PM
You not got a trade card, theyre pure win for things like that :d

Dont know on them but the ones ive got are what GM list for the xe as standard and mines standard enginewise, so cant be bad for it :thumb:

novadave24
23-02-13, 07:49 PM
na ive only got the png card thing when i singed up would the gm plugs be good for my 8v ?

Spudly
23-02-13, 08:04 PM
Probably, but they might not be the same ones that i have in my xe, i got them to look them up on reg as obviously i know the car/reg they came from:thumb:

You dont get a hellfrauds trade card through us, you have to be in't trade, and take them three payslips that state where you work to prove youre in the motor trade and ask for a trade card :d

novadave24
23-02-13, 08:59 PM
oh ok never mind i stick to the ones that are in there for now might take them out in the week and give them a clean up :)

Benn
24-02-13, 08:31 AM
Cars dont like being sat any where damp... How dry is the garage? Why is it under a cover in the garage? Being under a cover will make it sweat..

novadave24
24-02-13, 12:16 PM
my garage is dry just abit wet at the front with the gap in the door and the roof but i will have that done in the week and i just had the cover over it because it was just there its off now :)