PDA

View Full Version : Nova ,starlet turbo engine ?

kingwick
20-02-13, 10:19 AM
Has any one done or heard of any other novas with a starlet turbo engine ? What would be the main problems to assess before carrying this out ? Engine mounts , drive shafts , wiring loom and ecu ? All comments welcome good or bad thanks

mowgli
20-02-13, 10:32 AM
simply this..... will it fit?

kingwick
20-02-13, 11:08 AM
I think so its a small enough engine and wouldn't be as big as a red top . I'm only guessing though ha

simonm
20-02-13, 11:19 AM
My opinion not worth the hassle had both starlets and galanzas over the years much prefer a small block nova lump from my memory all those turbos done as spin up the inside wheel every where

meritlover
20-02-13, 11:32 AM
What would be the main problems to assess before carrying this out ? Engine mounts , drive shafts , wiring loom and ecu ?

it would deffinately be worth assessing all those issues.

_Jake
20-02-13, 12:35 PM
why not just turbo a nova 1.3...

kingwick
20-02-13, 01:17 PM
I just thought that engine would be easier to work with and a good bit cheaper. Plus lots of bolt on parts

meritlover
20-02-13, 01:38 PM
buy a Starlet then

Southie
20-02-13, 02:14 PM
buy a Starlet then
+1

kingwick
20-02-13, 05:39 PM
No way starlets aren't cool novas are

L14MNP
20-02-13, 05:51 PM
No way starlets aren't cool novas are

JDM tite RHD factory turbo y0! Mr T knows the score.

_Jake
20-02-13, 05:56 PM
I just thought that engine would be easier to work with and a good bit cheaper. Plus lots of bolt on parts
would be easier to buy a a16ler, lots of bolt on parts for them, easier to work with as in they will probably use the same engine mounts (dont hold me to that..) only trouble is wiring. Gunny on here has one in his mk1

Connor
20-02-13, 06:34 PM
Op. Yes it will fit, anything will fit within reason. Although custom mounts, custom driveshaft and alot of cutting on both chassis legs you might be able to get it in, then having to sqeeze the exhaust manifold in the front, let alone the wiring lol . Just buy a starlet, there are cool :cool:

Jack
21-02-13, 09:12 PM
Inlet is pretty big on them afaik so would probably need the bulkhead lopping off. Front could be crowded if you put a front mount on; the TMIC would probably foul the bonnet

No idea about dimensions and mounts and things though. That said, both 4E and 5E are good engines. very tuneable.

ASH GSI
22-02-13, 08:01 PM
I have a starlet turbo thats over 200bhp and it is much faster than my xe nova so i can see why it my be a good option. But tbh unless you are going to spend a lot on it like going for forged pistons and things id stick with a vauxhall lump. they may look like a good power to £ option but the starlet engines are getting old and most friends ive known with them end up spending lots on engine rebuilds (including me)
Ive seen the starlet turbo engine in a mini so it must fit in a nova.

Southie
22-02-13, 08:19 PM
I remember a starlet engine in a mini from eBay CLICKYME (http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=190720567723)

simonm
22-02-13, 11:34 PM
I think for all the hassle and money you'll spend on fitting a starbo engine would get a much bigger grin factor from a good xe or small block 16v those things make some good power and wouldn't be as much of a ticking time bomb as the starlet