PDA

View Full Version : Caliper help

Daveo
19-02-13, 08:47 PM
So the yesterday I thought it was about time to put the saloon through a full service when midway through when I was about to change the brake pads I noticed the 2 pins that run through the caliper wouldn't budge. I managed to knock them to be flush with the caliper but getting anywhere past that point was beyond me. I tried everything and yet I couldn't get them out. Does anyone know the best method to removing the pins?
Cheers

millworm
19-02-13, 08:50 PM
So they're still stuck in? get a punch and knock them out and use some for of penetrating oil. then put some copper grease on them when refitting.

Daveo
19-02-13, 08:56 PM
Yeah their still stuck in there. I already tried using a punch and didn't work

millworm
19-02-13, 09:09 PM
take the caliper off, and leave it to soak in oil or put it in a vice and try to press it out

John
19-02-13, 09:34 PM
which way did you try knocking them? from the outside face inwards?

Daveo
19-02-13, 09:35 PM
I originally tried from the inside face going outwards but got fed up so tried the other way round

b943weg
19-02-13, 09:39 PM
You need to get a pad pin removal tool. I bought one year's ago for about £2 and it makes it a 2 min job.
it's a punchy that's sized exactly for the job

Daveo
19-02-13, 09:48 PM
Where's the best place to buy it?

b943weg
20-02-13, 07:55 AM
I got it from a motor factors. That was years ago though, when Nova's were still commonplace! Its a perfectly sized rd, with a nipple on the end which slides into the roll pin. I bet you can still buy them on e-bay or through local motor factors. Ask for a brake pad roll pin removal tool.