PDA

View Full Version : Any way to extend (mechanical) fuel pump life?

jeremy fisher
19-02-13, 05:58 PM
I am having some trouble with my 1.2 carb daily Nova. The fuel pump is giving up. I have been managing by keeping plenty of fuel in the tank but today on the way home from work it was struggling and I don't think it's got much life left in it. I have the rest of this week and two more and then I have a Corsa to run around in and I will no longer need the Nova. So does anybody know a way of making the pump last a little bit longer? I think I'm being hopeful but its worth asking. Alternatively does anyone live in the Midlands and have a pump for free or cheap?
Thanks
Nick

MK999
19-02-13, 06:16 PM
It'll be the line from the tank, they tend to deteriorate and you get air in with the fuel. Eventually it will just stop sucking (which would suck).

Replace the bit of rubber that clips onto the plastic line from the pump in the engine bay and I bet it gets better.

jeremy fisher
19-02-13, 06:19 PM
That sounds promising, I'll give it a go tonight.
Thanks.

jimbob-mcgrew
19-02-13, 06:49 PM
a filter before it will minimize crap going into it - (rust / dirt / rubber)

MK999
19-02-13, 07:04 PM
Honestly mechanical pumps are pretty bulletproof, seen one off a 67 lotus Elan that still worked! Similarly an old triumph of some sort, actually nearly shot someone in the eye with that one after 30 odd years of life lol

tom reid
19-02-13, 07:04 PM
Nick, I have a few good pumps for free, bring that smallblock head you have on ebay with you.