PDA

View Full Version : Water in oil after head gasket change?

cossienova
17-02-13, 04:13 PM
Just changed head gasket on my 1.2 nova, had head skimmed changed oil, had it running for 5 mins and the oil is like mayonnaise! I didn't flush it out but it wasn't that dirty with gasket gone as a water way had gone leaving water into bore. Re used head bolts but they were new last time 30,000 miles ago. Any ideas before I take the head back off? Or scrap it!!!!

Nobby
17-02-13, 04:21 PM
Hi mate could be loads off different things? Was ts quick after start up? Was headgasket on the right way round? could have a cracked or fuked block or head? you say you didnt change the oil?

paul james
17-02-13, 04:22 PM
Don't re-use head bolts, they stretch when you put them in, so if you use them again your not going to be torquing them up right. Chances are spending money on new bolts is a wiser move than spending it on a head skim. The sump is quite probably full of crap if the oil and water mixed, so simply draining it and putting new oil in once wont clear it all out.

cossienova
17-02-13, 04:29 PM
It was straight away after change it only run for 10 mins. Head gasket on right way around as the front holes are bigger for dowels. I changed the head for another I had skimmed to save time but a known good head, block looked good.
I should have put new bolts but rushing to get new ones and couldn't get any local and needed the car done.
The oil was changed but I didn't flush it. Maybe change oil again first?

mowgli
17-02-13, 04:34 PM
is the coolant level dropping? if not, then you just have crap in the oil.

as for the head bolts, yes you should swap them, but back in the 80's people didn't always do it and it didn't knacker the engines

cossienova
17-02-13, 04:55 PM
The coolant level has dropped but I filled it to max before starting car so obviously it was empty after gasket change, it's now dropped to minimum which I would expect? The head bolts I should have changed but was informed by a mate who done his apprenticeship at vauxhall on novas that they are ok to re use them once. Only want it to last a few months too until tax is out as it's coming off road for resto.