PDA

View Full Version : Nova Gsi turns over, wont start, Pls Help

16-02-13, 08:39 PM
Hi, recently bought a 91 gsi, was starting very roughly, i have found loose connections at ignition switch, sorted this and fitted new switch. Fitted new starter, and found loose connections here too. Also fitted new spark plugs. Car now turns over fine, and has nearly started, but will not run. Im tempted to put the old plugs back in. Car had started and run before, but was a struggle to turn over. Also has a new battery as was killed off by the snow. Any ideas anyone, thanks in advance, one stressed gsi owner :(

pottersrebel
16-02-13, 08:45 PM
Dont know nothing about gsi`s but have you checked it is getting fuel and also check the timing, my stockcar struggles to start as it runs advanced timing, may not be the issue but its something else to check

bazil
16-02-13, 08:50 PM
Plugs gapped ok?

siegsi8v
17-02-13, 12:18 AM
worn dizzy/rotor/leads...ive just had a coolent sensor fail on my 16v totally ****ed the car up. Wouldnt fire up at all..check your sensors bud go for the cheapest first.

b943weg
17-02-13, 09:38 AM
If its been roughly starting and you've been turning it over loads, could it just be flooded? A bump start or two might just clear its throat and get you going...worth a try

Also, check the connection to the fuel pump. My GSI cut out a few months ago, a wire came off the pump. When you turn the key (one click before start) can you hear the fuel pump whirring?

mowgli
17-02-13, 11:38 AM
is it a dizzy or a coil pack engine?

17-02-13, 12:31 PM
Thanks all, i put the old ngk twin plug back in this morning, she fired up a dream, now runs sweet. Will set the gaps on new and keep as spares, a lot work, but well happy now. I can save for the spray job, and wheel refurb :)

Adam
17-02-13, 05:26 PM
Its 1991 so would be dizzy