PDA

View Full Version : Gearchange service

b943weg
16-02-13, 06:13 PM
I know cars with cable clutches are heavier on your left leg, but my gsi had a super tough gearchange.
I thought a mini service would help. Took the cable off, hung it up and poured oil through it until it came out the other end..ie fully oiled! While the cable was off I oiled the pedal pivot and mounting points.
Next I removed the centre console and gear gaitor. Cleaned the change mechanism and fully greased it.
put it all myback together and what a difference! The pedal and lever are lighter than our brand new Insignia!
A 45 min job that changes there way a car feels, well worth it

gte-87
16-02-13, 06:22 PM
Good idea might do that my self when I fit my rosé joint linkage

Novasport
16-02-13, 06:28 PM
It'll creak again in a few weeks, it's a Nova thing lol

Edd
16-02-13, 07:07 PM
ive been thinking about putting a proper bearing in the pedal linkage

Stuart
16-02-13, 07:08 PM
Or buy a new cable for not much and reduce the risk of oil being dumped in the cabin lol

Edd
16-02-13, 07:10 PM
they can still creek on the linkage with a new cable

Stuart
16-02-13, 07:11 PM
Really, oh wow I never knew that.............

I meant to free off the cable ffs.

Edd
16-02-13, 07:16 PM
Really, oh wow I never knew that.............

I meant to free off the cable ffs.

calm down boss man

my crystal ball isn't fully working today so i couldn't read your mind :p

Edd
16-02-13, 07:19 PM
while were talking clutches .......

is it possible to fit a hydraulic slave thing from a vectra on to a F13 ?
any point in doing it ?

Stuart
16-02-13, 07:53 PM
Could fit an f15, although I think the f13 was used till the late 90's so they were hydro.

Or fit a linear slave cylinder from the likes of wilwood to the normal box.

mowgli
17-02-13, 11:35 AM
oil rapidly gets pushed out of a clutch cable, so does wd40 or similar. its the same on locks. what you get is a rapid fix which soon goes away. you should use something like a dry graphite lubricant (you can get it from places like tractor dealerships) or at a push, a white grease, which will stay in the cable a lot longer. both are available in spray cans
to really sort out the clutch, you should check the cross shaft bushes in the bell housing too, these can seize up, or wear badly on one side. as for nylon pedal/linkage bushes. when they are worn, they simply need replacing.

b943weg
17-02-13, 06:42 PM
It was Wurth hss drylube, commercial stuff, that I filled my cable with. Proper adhesive spray lubricant. We'll see how it goes..still good today!

mowgli
17-02-13, 08:23 PM
that should do it