PDA

View Full Version : Citroen relay hydraulic clutch replacement help?

pottersrebel
15-02-13, 07:19 PM
Has anybody ever changed a hydraulic clutch? Im doing my vans this weekend as im too skint to afford garage labour costs, ive changed the cable operated clutchs before never hydraulic.
Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to bleed the system or things i need to watch out for?

AndrewJenkins
15-02-13, 07:28 PM
if its the engine im thinking of good luck has a great big diff housing which hits the sub frame is awkard on a ramp to get out so will be fun but as for bleeding them same as bleeding brakes one on the pedal on on the bleed screw

pottersrebel
15-02-13, 07:52 PM
Ive got use of a barn ( for aslong as i need), an engine crane, two big blokes for the heavy work and use of a tractor if i get annoyed lollol
Its the 2.0 hdi engine on a 06 plate but its the old body shape.
Thanks for the info mate :thumb:

Novasport
15-02-13, 07:52 PM
Is it the newer relay with the Puma engine? If so it is a massive job that is difficult even on a 2 post ramp.

pottersrebel
15-02-13, 08:04 PM
Is it the newer relay with the Puma engine? If so it is a massive job that is difficult even on a 2 post ramp.
Its the older shape one mate, i have heard they are a massive job, if needs must i will remove all the bits in the way drop the engine and lift the van out of the way with the tractor but that is a last resort.

staggy_gsi
15-02-13, 09:31 PM
Dont quote me on this, but i THINK the slave cylinder bolts on the outside of the box. If im right you wont have to bleed the clutch, siply unbolt the slave and make sure the pushrod doesnt come right out.

pottersrebel
15-02-13, 09:41 PM
cheers staggy ill make sure i check this out first as it wud save bleeding it

Nobby
15-02-13, 11:05 PM
same as anything else matey if the slaves inside just clamp it off like you would a brake pipe remove the locking clip and move it out the way. When bleeding it just connect it back up give the pedal a few pumps by hand and then loosen the nipple and try and let it self bleed we use a air bleeder at work which helps

staggy_gsi
16-02-13, 05:56 PM
I also seem to recall these are on a pull system rather than push. So the release bearing is fastened to the release fork and to get the box out you have to use a slide hammer on the pivot pin.
Like i say, not sure if all relays are the same but ive certainly done a few running that setup. Right ballache....

pottersrebel
16-02-13, 08:01 PM
Well i got it off , it was a right pain but no problems clearing the subframe just well hidden bolts and a bit of thinking on how to remove certain brackets, the slave cylinder did bolt on the gearbox so just undid that. problem came when inspecting the gearbox to find the thrust bearing carrier had broke which had caused the bearing to chew threw some of the pressure plate fingers. The carrier is a main dealer part so stuck now until monday.
for anyone else having to do this job you also need one hell of a big socket to undo the driveshaft nuts (40mm not big enough) ended up taking off the bottom arm and pulling the suspension leg back