PDA

View Full Version : I'm on the scrounge!

Stoo
10-02-13, 07:16 PM
Hello old friends :)

As the title suggests, I'm on the scrounge, looking for sponsorship/donations.

Some of you may know via other sources, but I have signed up to cycle from Blackheath in London, all the way to Brussels in Belgium between the 5th and 8th September 2013.
The journey is a 3 day jaunt covering 379KM (or 232 miles in old money) and I'm doing this in aid of the Alzheimer's Society, which is a cause very close to my heart.

Alzheimer's is a terrible, debilitating disease with no known cure and one which robs one in three people over 65 of their lives. Research shows over 800,000 people suffer from some form of dementia related illness in the UK and over half of those suffer with Alzheimer's. In ten years, projections suggest over 1 million people, and 1.7 million by 2051. Alzheimer’s Society champions the rights of people living with dementia and the millions of people who care for them. Alzheimer's Society also supports people to live well with dementia today and funds research to find a cure for tomorrow, relying on voluntary donations to continue their vital work.

Where does this put me, you ask?
Well, my Grandfather has been battling with Alzheimer's for some time now and over a relatively short period of time I've seen him go from a super active, lively, happy-go-lucky man to someone that cannot do the simplest of tasks for themselves any more. Bed bound, mute, with permanent 24hr residential care, with no livelihood at all. He doesn't even recognise his wife of 60+ yrs, let alone his children or grandchildren. Heart breaking.

So, My aim over the next 7 months or so is to raise around £1500 to help with research so that in future there may be a cure or at least a way to reduce it's effects.

You may think I'm starting early, but I have a fairly large target, and I also feel I may need the training!!
I'm an avid mountain biker and regularly get out and muddy, however,I've only just ventured in to the world of the roadie. So this may be interesting, building up to 3 consecutive days of c.80 miles!

Please follow the link below or in my signature to my Just Giving page where you will find a little more information about my plight and where you will be able to make a donation if you so wish. Oh and don't let the girls fool you. Bigger IS better!!!

http://www.justgiving.com/StuartTravis

You can also make a donation via text message too if that's more your thing.
Just text STOO84 to 70070 followed by your donation amount (£1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10)

Dig deep guys, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for reading.
Stoo

mowgli
10-02-13, 07:28 PM
stoo, give me a couple of weeks, cos i'm skinter than the govt at the moment, but i'll put some in

John
10-02-13, 08:03 PM
Done! :)

Stoo
10-02-13, 08:13 PM
Cheers John! Appreciate it :)

Mowgli, thank you buddy! :)

bazzap8389
10-02-13, 08:50 PM
:) Done

Stoo
10-02-13, 09:10 PM
Cheers bazza :)

Andy
10-02-13, 09:21 PM
As mowgli im brassic at the minute but will definately donate.
Nice to see you on here again

Stoo
10-02-13, 09:28 PM
I lurk from time to time :)

Made some great friends via here. And spent far too much time on here in years gone by :)

And thanks!!

Stoo
15-02-13, 03:09 PM
Had the day off today, so I planned my first big ride.
Just over 50 miles and I was expecting to average about 15mph.

Actually managed 16.8mph for 50.6miles and completed it in 3hrs and 48 seconds!
Not bad for solo and my very first attempt.

Between the road, turbo trainer and MTB i've clocked over 100miles this week so far.
Something I aim to improve on. Over the coming weeks/months I will be upping my mileage as time goes by.

Also, I've just signed up to do my first century in April. It's a wiggle organised event in Newmarket. Exciting!

Anyway, I'm putting in the training, so get your hands in your pockets :)

Donations have really slowed recently and I REALLY want to hit my target for this event.
It's such a great cause and the work they do is often thankless.
So dig deep you lovely generous people! :) xxx

Follow the link in my signature or alternatively text STOO84 followed by your donation amount (£1 ,£2, £3, £4, £5, or £10) to 70070.

Many thanks guys :)