PDA

View Full Version : gear knob

suzie
19-08-03, 06:57 PM
wana change my gear knob....... how do i get it off?

i have to push down the gear knob to put it in reverse will it still b ok to change it???

cheers x

BadBoyNeil
19-08-03, 07:14 PM
2 ways

Wanna keep it in good condition?
Then heat it up for ages with a hairdryer or a heatgun. It should then slide up and off.

Wanna rag it?
Then cut it off with a knife. (Don't hurt yourself :P )

It's perfectly fine to change your knob (oo-er missus)

NovaRoamer
19-08-03, 08:14 PM
The only reason you would have to worry bout whether it's ok for reverse, is if you had to pull a collar up instead of pushing the whole thing down. But no nova's are like that so you are fine. The way the haynes manual told me to do it was take the whole gearknob out and stick it in hot water - didn't work. Got fed-up and ripped foamy bit off top and sawed a pattern into the plastic bit underneath to get that off. But a few ppl have said the hairdryer thing works so it sounds like that would be your best bet! Whatever you do tho - don't do as I did and take the whole stick out. It's a bitch to get it back in...... i'm sure bad-boy knows all about that!

epo
19-08-03, 08:27 PM
i just pulled my knob and it came off in my hand :lol:

then fitted me new 1

Mark
19-08-03, 08:34 PM
i just pulled my knob and it came off in my hand :lol:

I bet you did Epo! :lol:

epo
19-08-03, 08:41 PM
sum 1 was bound 2 say summat like that :lol:

Mark
19-08-03, 08:45 PM
Glad I got there first then!
:D

Tazzy
19-08-03, 09:16 PM
it should just pull staright off as its on gripped by a rough surface!

but if it aint moving, and you dont care about the old knob, then saw down the middle until you cme to the metel lever then saw across and rip it off!

dave.gsi
20-08-03, 12:47 AM
take a hacksaw and cut it off about 5mm from under the bottom of the knob. straight through the shaft. takes about two mintues and saves pissin around with hot water/ hairdriers and lots of other stuff that doesn't work.

Alex
20-08-03, 01:33 AM
just give it a good pull and a twist. you'll soon bring that knob off :lol:

Mark
20-08-03, 07:42 AM
Oh yes Alex?!?!? :o

To get mine off I pulled hard and the rubber come off in my hand, this left the plastic bit which I smacked off with a hammer, then put new sleeve on and then gearknob and tightened 3 grub screws. - Job done!

suzie
20-08-03, 12:46 PM
thanks mate il give it a go :wink:

Fester
20-08-03, 01:40 PM
like dave i had to issue a circumcision with the stanley knife

Mark
20-08-03, 06:56 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Will
20-08-03, 07:12 PM
some nobs are stuck on firmer than others, lmfao!

MK2 sr pull off very easy

MK1 1.2 are a cnut,

thats wot ive found neway

not tried GSI...... yet :D