PDA

View Full Version : c20xe problems

nova_saloon
05-02-13, 02:20 AM
Have a coil pack c20xe engine. im have a recurring problem and has now really given up the ghost on me and im kinda fresh out on what to do.

For a while the car was stuttering lacking in power then increasing in very quick short bursts, the engine was coming up with Battery Low Voltage and hall effect switch high voltage (which i imagine is the camshaft sensor). but the battery is fine and the car is charging fine. It eventually died on me about 3-4 months later with this same problem, so i replaced the engine wiring loom making sure the loom was perfect so that is not at fault, i also replaced the alternator for good measure with a working one, not at fault, aslo replaced the camshaft sensor, this didnt fix the problem at all. it eventually died on me again it came out with two new codes
97 Traction control unit - ignition/injection cut off Incorrect signal - high voltage
79 Traction control unit Incorrect ignition/injector cut-off

as well as the battery low voltage, now dont understand why they came up, as i dont have the unit or plugs or anything to do with the traction control unit! so baffled with that one! might just be the ECU having a spaz day, but also swapped the ecu over and no good either! i checked the grounding, and its grounding is fine.
also when i was putting the ignition in ready to crank it over the tachometer, would climb a bit and drop down slowly even though the engine wasn't running (also replaced the coil pack) any suggestions on anything to fix this problem. i have a sneaking suspicion i have one of these in the wiring
http://evilstu.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/gremlin.jpg

bazil
05-02-13, 02:34 AM
Has the engine ran fine before? Is it the correct ecu for the engine ?

( basic I know lol )

nova_saloon
05-02-13, 02:52 AM
Yep, using a PT ecu, had it 5 years now. ran beautifully, just ****e the past couple of months!

bazil
05-02-13, 03:01 AM
Well the battery one, on my S3 I get that every time I've had the battery disconnected,

So loom, ecu, coilpack, cam sensor, battery, earths all ruled out,

How about crank sensor and lamda?

The codes for traction control maybe thrown up as you haven't got any plugs connected so it thinking its not working,

Edit, on the S3 when you bypass the N275 traction control valve you must leave the plugs intact and conected to prevent the ecu going apesh!t lol

dc1984
05-02-13, 08:20 AM
Im sure ive read in the past that the tc wires should be earthed.

David.

nova_saloon
05-02-13, 10:23 PM
I located the issue, it was the fuel pump relay, that or its temporally fixed itself again. but makes some sense, as it also controls something to do with the injectors apparently, so if it was faulty it may through up faults on that side of things with regards to the traction control. but im pleased now its all managed to sort itself. just going to replace a few wires just to be dead certain on things, that the relay didn't fry due to high resistance or something!

meritlover
05-02-13, 10:31 PM
I located the issue, it was the fuel pump relay, that or its temporally fixed itself again. but makes some sense, as it also controls something to do with the injectors apparently, so if it was faulty it may through up faults on that side of things with regards to the traction control. but im pleased now its all managed to sort itself. just going to replace a few wires just to be dead certain on things, that the relay didn't fry due to high resistance or something!

usually the 12v supplies both the pump and the injectors. The ecu pulls down the other side of the injectors to 0v (ground) to make them squirt.

coils fail in 2 ways, either the coil goes high or open circuit our or the contacts burn out and stick. its hard to find what side the fault is on sometimes for this reason.

good news on the fix though!