PDA

View Full Version : Roll cage b pillar feet

marc69
01-02-13, 08:32 PM
The nova floor has a step where the bpillar centre feet on my omp half 6 point cage fits.

Just wondered what other people have done with these, I made a box section to fit this in my 1.4 and welded it all in but, as I intend to fit this one bolted, for putting in spreader plates do I,

1 make the spreader into a fitted box section all level with the outside step whch means the two outside bolts will be tight with the spreader and floor but the inner two will be the floor and then box section.

or

2 Fit the spreader plate with the step on the floor so it acts as a reinforcer for the floor and then use bolts or some sort of spacers to fit between the floor and inner two bolts on the cage feet.

phunkynova
02-02-13, 01:56 PM
If you look at this page from my rally car build you will see how I have done it, hope it helps you....http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?147449-Czech-it-out-Nova-Rallyx/page6

I first welded a plate to the floor of the car and then had a boxed step for the cage foot with 2 welded in captive nut and 2 holes that go straight both box and plate for bolts with spreader plate on the under side of the car for these 2.

marc69
02-02-13, 05:58 PM
Thanks, yours looks really good quality, mine is rougher but a similar idea, got the welding finished and more or less copied what I did on my 1.4 last year. Had a problem with the passenger rear arch, it just wouldn't weld strong at first so I had to be a bit heavy handed with massive spot welds to get started.

It's in but not every hole is well aligned, I started trying to drill through, gave up for the day when the drill almost took my hand off!

phunkynova
02-02-13, 06:12 PM
Some time you can move the cage legs a bit to get them to line up. lose bolt the ones which line up and then use a bit of persuasion to line the others.

marc69
03-02-13, 10:14 PM
I fitted it today, a lot of persuaion needed. The nuts and bolts for the rear arches were too short with the spreader plates put in so I used longer ones, I have put them in upside down, ie the bolt is in the wheelarch and the nut in the car, so that they don't protrude into the arch.

Firstly, if this is done tight it should be as secure as the other way round?

Secondly, will I need to grind the protruding excess bolts for the mot as they are inside the car?

Thanks for the advice so far, that is over two full days work and I still have the front impact bar to get aligned, I didn't realise that to do this properly it was such a massive job!

phunkynova
04-02-13, 07:40 AM
It better to have the bolts coming through from the outside to the inside. Please use nylon lock nuts. As for MOT I could tell you that one as it has been many year since I last took a car for one and the rules have changed many time since then.

Iain
04-02-13, 11:58 AM
I'd have thought it's better to have the bolts inside to outside so they don't drop out should they come loose. Benefit of inwards I guess is you can see them loosening more easily

Wouldn't worry about them for an MOT unless they're sharp and near the occupants

marc69
04-02-13, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the advice, all fitted with access to seats and doors closing well etc, just waiting on more of the correct nuts and bolts arriving, had to use others to get it fitted but just glad it's in, seriously underestimated the difficulty!

marc69
08-02-13, 01:39 PM
It better to have the bolts coming through from the outside to the inside. Please use nylon lock nuts. As for MOT I could tell you that one as it has been many year since I last took a car for one and the rules have changed many time since then.

Am I better tyo use nylon lock nuts or use a second normal nut to lock the first one?

novalovingned
08-02-13, 02:19 PM
Nylocks 100% if its staying in for a while :)