PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 carb nova cutting out

millworm
31-01-13, 01:06 AM
As above, whenever I slow down/brake or shift down a gear my engine just dies, It'll start again straight after with no problems. it won't idle either. any help would be appreciated as it's starting to tick me off

meritlover
31-01-13, 07:40 AM
ignition timing, blocked jets, manifold air leaks, air filter, choke jammed on, low compression.....

kent14sr
31-01-13, 11:40 AM
Check the vacuum pipes - I think there is one on those that goes onto the bottom of the air filter housing that sometimes comes off.

mowgli
31-01-13, 01:20 PM
check the dizzy advance mechanism too. with it running, pull the vac pipe off at the carb end, then suck it to see if you get a vacuum & the engine note changes.

also check the choke cable hasn't slipped

millworm
31-01-13, 07:30 PM
ok, thanks for the help I'll check when I fit my k&n tomorrow

Dave A
31-01-13, 08:02 PM
Also check the pipe to the brake servo, if thats leaking you will get exactly the symptoms you describe.

jimbob-mcgrew
31-01-13, 10:37 PM
is this issue all of a sudden ?
or has it been ongoing, and now bad to worse ?

millworm
31-01-13, 10:53 PM
is this issue all of a sudden ?
or has it been ongoing, and now bad to worse ?

all of the sudden drove it monday and she was fine only started yesterday

jimbob-mcgrew
01-02-13, 08:25 AM
check all the things the other guys mentioned :

- timing out
- advance/retard diagphragm on dizzy faulty
- idle jet on carb semi-blocked
- choke mechanism sticking
- loose or perished/damaged vacuum pipes on carb
- brake servo to inlet manifold pipe loosing pressure

also had a similiar problem myself that was on and off unpredictable, turned out to be corrosion on one of the main earth straps in the engine bay, starting or charging circuit earth if i remember. would drive normally, then when you slow right down for speed bumps or lights, klunk, it would cut out, annoying! makes you look like your a sh!t driver or your car should be in a scrap yard

- check all the regular service stuff too, like over dirty filters, and worn spark plugs / plug leads, dizzy cap / rotor arm condition any anything else you can think of

Simon 1867
01-02-13, 08:38 AM
I had the same issue and I blew through the fuel pipes under the car, just helps to eliminate everything.

Dave A
01-02-13, 03:29 PM
If it happened all of a sudden do the brakes need a firmer push than usual? It could be a failed diaprhagm in the brake servo, had this happen to me last year with exactly the same symptoms.

mikey093
01-02-13, 06:50 PM
Im having the exact same problem with it cutting out so often. Im servicing car at weekend so il start by changing filters plugs ect. Im guessing its just a blocked pipe somewhere though.

Simon 1867
01-02-13, 06:54 PM
Clean the engine breather out too. On the back of the block. I know when I cleaned mine it was full of old oil and sludge. Really helped too

mikey093
01-02-13, 07:00 PM
Clean the engine breather out too. On the back of the block. I know when I cleaned mine it was full of old oil and sludge. Really helped too

Thanks for the info. I did that on my old corsa and it was blocked with lots of crap

millworm
01-02-13, 11:00 PM
If it happened all of a sudden do the brakes need a firmer push than usual? It could be a failed diaprhagm in the brake servo, had this happen to me last year with exactly the same symptoms.

might be this I'll have a look

_Jake
02-02-13, 03:49 PM
i had this on my 1.2 also, just gave it a bloody good ragging and it sorted it, put it down to crap in the carb as it never did it again!

millworm
02-02-13, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all the help, just before I went mad ripping into the carb ect I went for a good old run down a few A roads and she's fine, I probably flooded her or something of the sort lol

chrisd1986
02-02-13, 04:07 PM
mine dose it when its cold but shes fine as she warms up but she dose atleast 50 miles a day on the motorway for comuting

16v Nova Kev
02-02-13, 05:45 PM
Fuel pump?