PDA

View Full Version : Bit stuck with the paint for a spoiler

AW3K
19-08-03, 03:02 PM
Hi

I've got a GSI spoiler which the paint had started to flake, sanded it back to the white primmer layer.

Now my guestion is...

What primmer do i need to use first? filler primmer or just normal plastic primer, (spray cans)

Cheers

AW3K

AW3K
19-08-03, 07:13 PM
Any one?

cheers

BadBoyNeil
19-08-03, 07:17 PM
On my spoiler I just sanded it so it's smooth as shite, scotched it then gave it 4 layers of halfords plastic primer (grey primer) then sanded it lightly and whacked on my Cosmos Blue. It looks sound with no paint flaking after 8 months. (Only two layers of laquer)

AW3K
19-08-03, 07:21 PM
this may sound odd but do you have to use laquer?

actually whats the purpose of laquer.

I didn't on my boot handle and it seams fine.

as i don't think my car is laquered at all.

/dumbass mode off!

AW3K

epo
19-08-03, 07:28 PM
when i laquered me m3 mirrors when i had a set the paint went like orange peel they were fine till i laquered em
me mate who runs a body shop later told me not 2 laquer white cars

BadBoyNeil
19-08-03, 07:29 PM
this may sound odd but do you have to use laquer?

actually whats the purpose of laquer.

I didn't on my boot handle and it seams fine.

as i don't think my car is laquered at all.

/dumbass mode off!

AW3K

Laquer is used as a clear protective shield sprayed over paintwork. It protects, to a certain degree, against weather, stonechips and general wear and tear.
It comes in a can and is used just like spray paint. Although it does run a little more.
When used properly it can give a really nice shine on cellulose (spray paint) as a finishing touch.

To use it -
After applying the final top coat of colour to a panel, allow to fully harden then LIGHTLY sand back and spray on about 3-4 layers of laquer. It takes about 24 hours to harden.

customnova
20-08-03, 02:05 AM
now then epo. how comw you cant laquer white cars, i was gonna do all mine in a couple of weeks

epo
20-08-03, 06:35 PM
its wot i was told u know the sports car garage down south park theres a road just off there where an old bloke used 2 do all sparyin for clugstons
i got talkin 2 him he repaired me supernova front bumper got tellin me how 2 prep it and spray it i mention laquerin it and he said dont on white cars no need 2

but he cud be wrong like he seemed 2 know wot he was on about

he sprayed dudes nova from broughton which was in max power the purple 1 with the audi bonnet it was photographed at grimsby

brian
21-08-03, 05:20 AM
Metallic paint.
base coat + Lacquer brings out the metallics