PDA

View Full Version : Boaty Nova Steering

J144LBG
29-01-13, 06:05 PM
Hi, new to the site. As some of you may have read, I recently purchased a very clean Nova restop. The shell is very tidy, as is the engine and box. Few slight niggle with it, one being the sheer unsteadiness of it on the road. Its just been motd, and thereofre, I am unsure how or why it is like this, but at high speed, it seems to be all over the place, constantly having to adjust the steering to keep it in a straight line.

Is this a common problem? Its lowered on adjustables (I forget which kind), and has cage and rear and front strut brace.

My mate reckons it could be bushes on the rear axle, or the steering box?

its a 1.0 spin shell

Help much appreciated, cheers

Dave

John
29-01-13, 06:09 PM
It doesn't have a "steering box " as such, just a rack and column. So if its just had an mot all suspension components should be good (I'd check them again anyway) what are the tyres like? Suspension geometry ok?

J144LBG
29-01-13, 06:36 PM
It doesn't have a "steering box " as such, just a rack and column. So if its just had an mot all suspension components should be good (I'd check them again anyway) what are the tyres like? Suspension geometry ok?

Tyres are Ok John yeah. I will get it jacked up at the w.e. and check it all just though maybe it was a commin problem. Its really rigid susp wise, just when it gets to high speed, its a nightmare to keep in a straight line. lol.

Spudly
29-01-13, 06:44 PM
It could just be down to 'tramlining' im guessing it has alloys, and you usually find (more so with stiff suspension) that when theyre lowered with wide-ish wheels (typically 195 width tyres) they will skip and follow the undulations of the road, my nova does it a fair bit, but tends to be slower speeds with mine, its more stable higher up the speedo, try and get your tracking checked if you can as that will be a massive contributing factor, also if its got adjustable (im guessing coilover) suspension on the front, the camber might not be right, and this will affect tramlining a hell of a lot!

mowgli
29-01-13, 06:59 PM
get its track & camber checked first. also look at what tyre pressures it has

meritlover
29-01-13, 07:29 PM
im with Santa ^

J144LBG
30-01-13, 04:59 PM
Thanks lads. My mate will be able to check the tracking etc on it at the garage. Cheers for the help:)

mowgli
30-01-13, 06:05 PM
remember. when any adjustment to the ride height is made, it affects both the tracking & camber. fixing the tracking alone is not enough

J144LBG
07-02-13, 04:38 PM
Hi aye lads. So, upon inspection, the Nove seems to have excessive play around the lower arms. When its put into gear, you can see the whole arm move horizontally. I was thinking uprated polybushes would sort it?

Thanks again in advance

jimbob-mcgrew
07-02-13, 05:15 PM
santa's on it ! and spudder's cat's a window licker lol

meritlover
07-02-13, 05:19 PM
. I was thinking uprated polybushes would sort it?

Thanks again in advance

OE bushes or ball joints would sort it, polybushes could be considered an upgrade

jimbob-mcgrew
07-02-13, 05:22 PM
remember. when any adjustment to the ride height is made, it affects both the tracking & camber. fixing the tracking alone is not enough

how do you adjust the camber on nova's mo-gleee ? i didnt think you could, im stupid tho :tard:

meritlover
08-02-13, 08:34 AM
Either elongate the holes on the strut tops or slot one set of holes on the bottom of the struts where it meet the hub. Or you could use an adjustable bottom wishbone.

J144LBG
08-02-13, 09:15 AM
Ok, Ill look into it. Courtenay best place for uprated ones?

Next question, lol. Are the arms etc on a 1.0 spin, the same as that on a GSI? if not, i will probably get GSI ones if they are stronger. Seems as thought the whole arm is moving but ill get it jacked up again tomorrow lads

mowgli
08-02-13, 11:47 AM
the bottom arm is identical, but the TCA's (the ones that go to the front panel) are bigger diameter on gsi's.

the official method of adjusting camber is to elongate the holes on where the strut joins the hub. its in chapter 13 of haynes.