PDA

View Full Version : PC upgrade help

skud52
29-01-13, 03:13 PM
Right im after a bit of help/advice on upgrading my PC. Mainly the graphics card as this is what i believe to be the problem. Although i am open to suggestion on what the problem/fix might be.

My example is if i try and play starcraft 2, the game runs rather laggy on it. Im not needing the computer to be a super spec gaming pc as thats not what i wantbit for, more to give me something to do while the dragon is watching the soaps!!

Looking at the system requirments the reccommended graphics card for said game is a nvidia geforce 8600 gt which a quick search on ebay comes in at around £30 which would be ideal!

My pc is a hp pavillion so im not sure whether the grapgics card can be upgraded or is built onto the motherboard or whether i can simply add another. Im not sure.

Any info would be great

Cheers

Jack
29-01-13, 04:05 PM
Do you know what the model number is for the Pavillion?

skud52
29-01-13, 04:14 PM
Do you know what the model number is for the Pavillion?

I can find out when i finish work fr you if it helps

L14MNP
29-01-13, 04:23 PM
Muppet Corner this dross. lol

Mods are meant to move things into correct sections, not just answer. lol

millworm
29-01-13, 04:46 PM
even if it has an integrated graphics card you can still add one, the only thing that could hold you back is you psu and or motherboard. what are they?

Jack
29-01-13, 05:56 PM
Muppet Corner this dross. lol

Mods are meant to move things into correct sections, not just answer. lol
I don't see any mods answering?

skud52
29-01-13, 07:59 PM
even if it has an integrated graphics card you can still add one, the only thing that could hold you back is you psu and or motherboard. what are they?

Am i going to have to open it up to find out what the powet supply unit is or will it come up in the device manager??

Jon_nova1
29-01-13, 09:15 PM
lol PSU should be fine and the only way your motherboard will hold you back is depending on the slots you have, basically you need a free PCI express slot free, it can be any speed but 16x would be the best as it also matches the graphics card

I'm pretty sure you can go into the Bios on the hp and it will have an enable/disable option/other instruction for the PCI express if it has one, it should also have an option to disable the integrated graphics card if it is integrated (usually is)

Mazz
29-01-13, 09:44 PM
Depending on the age, it might even be an AGP slot, but thats quite old now - might be worth dropping the resolution/detail on the game which will make it run better

skud52
29-01-13, 10:04 PM
Depending on the age, it might even be an AGP slot, but thats quite old now - might be worth dropping the resolution/detail on the game which will make it run better

Ive tried lowering all the settings and also tried changing the nvidia control panel to performance, its still a bit slow, i was just wondering for the sake of a £40-£50 graphics card would it actually improve it or could it be something else thats causing the problem.

millworm
29-01-13, 10:12 PM
the card would improve it, but as everyone has said it really depends on the age of the pc, motherboard ect as you may have problems if you whack a brand new graphics card in there. I was going down the same road as you so in the end I just bought a brand new rig, witch is now out of date lol

skud52
29-01-13, 10:25 PM
Thats a big problem with pc's, there out of date so fast, but im not looking to build a super spec pc, just something that will comfortably run a few oldish games, looking at the system requirements of what i want i do feel its only the video card thats letting it down (afaik) its not like im trying to put a nasa spec card in either

Just hoping some computer whiz could lead me in the right direction.

Mazz
30-01-13, 09:16 PM
tbh, if you can get a cheap gfx card, then throw one in - its can't hurt. Do you know what type you need? If not, take the side off and take a pic and post it up..

skud52
30-01-13, 09:53 PM
Well ive looked at what i have (hp pavillion slimline 5508) and have looked into the internet for info relating to this and it would appear its not really upgradable for to main reasons, first the slimline-ness means that normal size pci cards dont fit, and secondly the hp psu seams to be a pathetic 200w so pretty much and card would not run on that power!

Im goin to nip into my local freibdly computer place in the morning and see what they reckon would be best, maybe just chop it in and buy something a little more upgradable??

Mazz
30-01-13, 09:57 PM
200w is quite crap tbh! Bit like a 1.0 Nova :)

A quick google says you've got a 220w PSU & a 16pin PCI-E slot, so a cheap card and maybe power supply would work, something like 400-500w would be ample imo

skud52
30-01-13, 09:59 PM
That would be possible?? I read it as any normal graphics card wont fit?

andy_mk3
30-01-13, 10:07 PM
You will only be able to fit a low profile card, something like a HD 5750 1GB will be about the best you can get.

But then the PSU will still be a problem, as it wont use a standard ATX power supply.

skud52
30-01-13, 10:18 PM
You will only be able to fit a low profile card, something like a HD 5750 1GB will be about the best you can get.

But then the PSU will still be a problem, as it wont use a standard ATX power supply.

Better off going for a normal tower then? Also is anything out of the slimline usable? I.e. motherboard??

andy_mk3
30-01-13, 10:25 PM
You are really yes. And it is but I wouldn't bother, they are so locked down and featureless.

I don't know how much you have to spend, but I'd be looking at something like this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-005-EP&groupid=43&catid=2385&subcat=2453

The built-in graphics are better than a 8600GT, so you'll be able to play your game just fine.

See here for gaming performance: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4134/the-brazos-review-amds-e350-supplants-ion-for-miniitx/5

Plus you have a system that is easily upgrade-able for the future :)

skud52
30-01-13, 10:38 PM
You are really yes. And it is but I wouldn't bother, they are so locked down and featureless.

I don't know how much you have to spend, but I'd be looking at something like this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-005-EP&groupid=43&catid=2385&subcat=2453

The built-in graphics are better than a 8600GT, so you'll be able to play your game just fine.

See here for gaming performance: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4134/the-brazos-review-amds-e350-supplants-ion-for-miniitx/5

Plus you have a system that is easily upgrade-able for the future :)

Thats really helpful, cheers for that mate, much appreciated!

Connor
30-01-13, 10:46 PM
I run a Nvidia gtx280 1GB on my CAD computer and its awesome, so im guessing the one you posted would be more than adequate.
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/735213_10151291682724926_251594872_n.jpg

Connor
30-01-13, 10:46 PM
Double post.