PDA

View Full Version : Engine triuble

Daveo
27-01-13, 06:36 PM
I was driving uphill and lost some power and then I smelt a strong burning smell and a little bit of smoke came from under the bonnet from the gearbox side of the engine, I'm driving a 1.0L saloon. Can anyone help diagnose the problem?
Cheers liam

mowgli
27-01-13, 06:44 PM
not from that information. sorry..

is it still down on power? or was it temporary?

has it stopped or is it still running??

chrisd1986
27-01-13, 06:47 PM
sounds like clutch slipping to me tbh

Daveo
27-01-13, 06:48 PM
No it's fine when I'm driving on flat road, only once I'm driving uphill and I put strain on the engine to get up the hill. So was only temporary. I stopped the car and switched the engine off and left it for 10mins or so and then turn't it on and was absolutely fine and it's still running

mowgli
27-01-13, 06:49 PM
it could be the clutch. or its overheating. flushing the rad & changing the thermostat might help

Daveo
27-01-13, 06:52 PM
I think most likely will be the clutch, the engine wasn't overheating according to the thermostat and I seemed the smoke was coming from the gearbox

Novasport
27-01-13, 07:04 PM
Was the burning smell a vile smell like way overcooked cabbage or brussel sprouts? If so, it was your clutch.

Nailen
27-01-13, 07:08 PM
I agree defo a clutch issue

Daveo
27-01-13, 07:12 PM
Well I went and did the all so famous clutch test with the car in fourth and the handbrake on and the car did stall when releasing the clutch pedal. I've heard that a clutch that needs adjusting will have the same symptoms as a slipping clutch?

Nailen
27-01-13, 07:19 PM
Adjusting it will only sort the problem for a little while clutches aren't dear and you don't even have to take the box out. In my opinion I would spend the money and buy a new one

Daveo
27-01-13, 09:56 PM
So after all that I've got home and noticed one of my centre caps was missing on the front n/s wheel and the paint was flaking, I touched the wheel and it burnt my finger and I'm guessing that the wheel bearing is cometely shot. There was no warning symptoms like noise or steering issues which I'm surprised about.

bazil
27-01-13, 09:58 PM
Seized brake caliper?

Delco caliper per chance lol

Nailen
27-01-13, 10:00 PM
Seized caliper

Andy
27-01-13, 10:00 PM
was just gonna say, bazil

Nailen
27-01-13, 10:01 PM
Haha I never saw bazils comment

Andy
27-01-13, 10:02 PM
i never saw yours lol

Daveo
27-01-13, 10:09 PM
Deffinetly a seized caliper?

Andy
27-01-13, 10:11 PM
more than likely.
Jack up up and try turn the wheel

Daveo
27-01-13, 10:18 PM
Was gonna say tomorrow ill get in the air and give the wheel a spin and a wobble to see what it is

Daveo
28-01-13, 08:12 PM
I just put the car in the air and there no play in the wheel but I can still turn the wheel and there's not much resistance in the wheel when I turn it

meritlover
28-01-13, 08:19 PM
sounds like there is something wrong with the engine or gearbox.

marc69
28-01-13, 09:56 PM
The guides in the caliper could be seizing on as it's being used, I had this 14 years ago for weeks and couldn't work it out, driver's wheel. In a 1.0 it will feel like the car is really underpowered.

Take it for a drive, be hard on the brakes and as soon as it is struggling again, feel all four wheels. If one wheel at the front is hotter than the other side, theres the answer. get the calipers overhauled or replaced.

If your engine is overheating, the temperature gauge may not be reading it if it is due to poor ignition or retarded timing, what happens is the chamber and spark plug over heats and ceases igniting, especially on a long journey under load. Left for a few minutes too cool it will drive fine. Has anyone touched the points or distributor lately?

Maybe worthwhile checking the colour of a spark plug before you drive it to see if anything obvious is the cause.

meritlover
28-01-13, 10:05 PM
the best way to solve repeated sticking callipers is to remove the square section O-rings on the sliding pins. they might clunk a bit, but they wont seize the same.

marc69
28-01-13, 10:13 PM
the best way to solve repeated sticking callipers is to remove the square section O-rings on the sliding pins. they might clunk a bit, but they wont seize the same.

I just put in new sliders, but I hadn't tightened the calipers enough so the first drive mine clunked anyway. I don't know if caliper kits are still available so you may have to do remove the sections.

Daveo
28-01-13, 10:39 PM
Marc69 when I touched the wheel yesterday it was baking hot and the o/s front wasn't hot at all. Even though there was wasn't much resistance when I turn't the wheel I had a look at the caliper and the pads are sitting way to close to the disc for my liking.
I'm thinking the best thing to do is refurb the caliper so I will replace the seals, copper grease the pistons and wire brush the whole thing?

John
28-01-13, 10:41 PM

The best way to resolve repeated sticking standard nova calipers is to replace them
With corsa ate calipers.

marc69
28-01-13, 10:52 PM
Marc69 when I touched the wheel yesterday it was baking hot and the o/s front wasn't hot at all. Even though there was wasn't much resistance when I turn't the wheel I had a look at the caliper and the pads are sitting way to close to the disc for my liking.
I'm thinking the best thing to do is refurb the caliper so I will replace the seals, copper grease the pistons and wire brush the whole thing?

remove the pads and see if the caliper moves in and out by hand, if it doesn't then it's probably the guides, but it's also worth checking the piston moves back in freely too. If you are refurbing the caliper I'm sure I don't need to say, do both even if the other one seems fine-it is just a queation of time lol

Daveo
29-01-13, 09:03 AM
I've just driven the car and there was absolutely no trouble whatsoever. The wheel temp was completely fine and didnt feel any struggle in the engine at all. Could it just be a caliper that's sticking every so often?

steviegsi
29-01-13, 10:30 AM
It would be no bad thing to swap the brakes for ate as suggested above^. At least then you can rule it out/have better brakes/ not have to worry about them sticking in the future.

Daveo
29-01-13, 11:24 AM
Anyone know of anyone selling a pair?

brainsnova
29-01-13, 12:08 PM
Put up a thread in the parts wanted section :thumb:

John
29-01-13, 12:37 PM
The corsa b had 236 mm discs, both in vented and solid guise, both will fit behind standard 13"steels iirc.