PDA

View Full Version : 20XE alternator belt turning inside out - lining up pulleys

Iain
26-01-13, 10:07 PM
First time the belt turned inside out and ran on the outside edge of the bottom pulley.

Slackened off tension and it was OK for a while, now its turned itself inside out within the grooves.

I think the pulleys are out of line, with the alternator sitting further out than the bottom pulley.

What's the easiest way to align the pulleys on a 20XE? I've not had an alternator apart before, is there a spacer behind the pulley I can machine down? Or is it better to space out the bottom pulley a bit to suit?

Benn
27-01-13, 10:28 AM
Yes there is a spacer, yes you can turn it down, ive done that on mine to give better clearance. My belt still turns over after some hard driving tho.
I slotted the mount holes too so it can be moved over too.

meritlover
27-01-13, 12:17 PM
if this is a single 'Vee' belt you need to change to a poly-vee. the high speed causes the centrifugal force to fling the belt outside of the groove. Because the inside of the belt has a smaller circumference to the outside, it wants to flip its self inside out.

drive slower or change the belt. alternatively use an under drive pulley. but if your going to that bother use a 'poly-vee' setup

Iain
27-01-13, 06:15 PM
Yes I'm using a single-v belt; is there enough room to run a poly-v belt on a Nova? I can visually see the pulleys aren't lined up properly so I'll see how long it lasts when I line them up.

Will intially try as you say Benn and slot the holes in the bracket to see if I can line it up that way.

Driving slower isn't an option lol

Edd
27-01-13, 06:26 PM
I slotted holes in the bracket as well, only did it once after that

I found once I slotted the bracket it was just a case of finding the best position so it didn't do it if that makes sense

Iain
27-01-13, 09:50 PM
Yep, sounds like thats worth a try cheers

dirtyredtop
30-01-13, 03:05 PM
i had this problem on my redtop nova kept flyin off or inside out was a bent pully on the alternator must have knocked it wen putting engine in