PDA

View Full Version : C20 XE TIMING

fleming
18-08-03, 10:21 PM
Got a query, went to start my 2.0 16v today and heard a clunk. Engine would turn over but no compression on any cylinders. Took the rocker cover off and found the cam belt was loose for sum reason, all tensioners, idllers etc are fine. Went to line the bottom crank pulley onto the timing mark, and if i put somthing down the plug hole of cylinder one it isnt on tdc when that bottom timing mark is alligned.

Is this common or is this the fault?? I thought cylinder 1 should be at TDC when that bottom mark is alligned. Im wondering if that 'clunk' was the crank sliiping on the bottom pulley, or overcoming the woodruff key?

My patience with the valver is running out! :evil:

Thanks for any adivce, much appreciated.

Dicko
19-08-03, 12:39 AM
posible the woodruff key that holds the bottom pulley in line has broke.

you will have bent your valves!!!

brian
19-08-03, 12:49 AM
very likely that its what Dicko said. the key is a bit too small in my mind.

fleming
19-08-03, 07:43 AM
thats what im thinkin, is the bottom pulley a pressed fit? can i do it in the car? Just wondered how it comes off?

Thanks for that chaps

Ste_Nova
19-08-03, 10:25 AM
yes they shear.. and yes all 16 valves will be fucked

fleming
19-08-03, 08:20 PM
How does the bottom pulley come off then?? Undo the centre bolt and.........

jim sri
19-08-03, 10:00 PM
if this woodruff key broke would you still be able to turn the bottom pulley by hand(e20 on extension bar)?? would you still be able to get #1 at tdc?

fleming
20-08-03, 01:19 AM
Yeah i can get cylinder 1 on tdc, but its not at tdc when the timing mark is alligned. Just wondered how easy it is to get that bottom pulley off really??

brian
20-08-03, 05:07 AM
i think the damage is done unfortunately.
unlike if it was a 1600 with standard head, there is enough clearance to not bend valves.

fleming
20-08-03, 09:54 AM
Yeah will sort the head out. The question is though how does the bottom pulley come off to replace the woodruff key?? Just to check that is the fault?

Dicko
20-08-03, 09:59 AM
you need a BIG bar with the corect socket on (e-torx). then i usualy hold the cam belt still by getting somebody with anyther bar to hold the cam pulleys still

Ste_Nova
20-08-03, 10:33 AM
if it's sheared chances are it's loose anyway... stick an e20 on it and a long bar... rest it somewhere and click the starter (i take no responseability for any damage)

fleming
20-08-03, 12:07 PM
yeah so that will get the alternator pulley off, then will the crank pulley just pull/lever off?

cheers for your help

Ste_Nova
20-08-03, 12:29 PM
does it really matter... ur not just gonna be able to change it and drive off... the head etc needs removing

fleming
20-08-03, 03:35 PM
I know the head is gonna have to come off and i accept that. That isnt the issue. I need to remove this pulley to inspect what has gone wrong in there before doing the head just to make sure this is the fault. Sorting the head is not a problem was just askin about this flippin pulley!

Dicko
20-08-03, 03:41 PM
yep we have just told u howto get it off!!

get the pulley off before you take cam belt etc off or youl struggle even more

fleming
20-08-03, 07:24 PM
ideal chrs mate.