PDA

View Full Version : The boring what to do thread, AGAIN!..

scott.parker
25-01-13, 10:49 AM
So, Ive got to decide what i should do with all my cars..

Fact is i cant keep all of them, its just not sensible/affordable really..

So Ive just got new tyres/brakes on the mk4 Astra, tax is due, do i re tax it and sell it priced to sell with the fact its got 6months tax/8 months MOT new tyres/brakes?

Or do i bite the bullet and sell one of the Nova's, realistically at the moment the Saloon would be best to sell on as we still have not moved house and Ive got no where to work on the loon..

Or i sell the hatch keep the Astra, then do the loon once i get a garage..

Grr, fact is IMO the Nova hatch is not to me a "practical" everyday car if i wanted to lob crap in the back of it, or do long distance miles etc..
But the Astra is, but i love my Nova's more....
I know im sad/mad lol

What to do??

Scott

brownbear
25-01-13, 11:23 AM
keep them all, Move house, Tuck away the Novas Use the Astra till you do = no regrets.

Mieran
25-01-13, 11:29 AM
Tbh Novas are just not ideal for a daily anymore, only good as a toy and a modern car for everyday use.

So with that said I would keep the astra and sell one of the novas, I would be tempted to sell the loon cos' the hatch is more unique in that colour.

scott.parker
25-01-13, 11:31 AM
Tom somethings has to give, as i think the missis will/would actually kill me if i tried that, and TBF with my new found love of Snowboarding i dont think I'll even have as much time to do cars soon..

novalovingned
25-01-13, 12:32 PM
Sell the loon, keep the hatch.....Astra daily. Simples lol

It's what I do..... Nova tucked away, astra van daily/work and a4 for long distances/mrs to get to work.

scott.parker
25-01-13, 12:42 PM
BUT if i do it that way round im then stuck of the dilemma of do i then X16XE the hatch and Turbo it as planned for the loon? as this might spoil some of the hatches nice original chrechter...

ben doodar
25-01-13, 01:23 PM
Sell the loon, keep the hatch, Astra as a daily hack. IMO there's no point having an everyday nova and a weekend/sunnyday/toy nova. I've got a golf tdi as my day to day smoker then (eventually) when my novas finished I've got a nice retro car to use on nice days etc.

Don't bog yourself down with to much on at once. Have the nova as a 'hobby' and not be dependent on it that way you won't loose the novelty of owning a nova.

All of that is in my opinion feel free to do as you please! Lol

Edd
25-01-13, 01:40 PM
I would sell the loon if I was in your position

It looks /sounds like a full on project, costing alot of time and cash I would think, women don't like them type of projects lol I know this lol

The yellow hatch don't need much doing to it, but maybe build a turbo engine for it plus fit better brakes and keep the original stuff for if you ever wanted to change back

peester
25-01-13, 01:40 PM
is there a possibility of down grading the astra to a very cheap daily hack and keeping the two novas?

Jack
25-01-13, 01:58 PM
Grr, fact is IMO the Nova hatch is not to me a "practical" everyday car if i wanted to lob crap in the back of it, or do long distance miles etc..
But the Astra is
I think thats answered the question about the Astra. Everyone needs a boring daily sh!tbox, thats why I have the cav lol

Are you looking to move house in the near future? If so, I would say get rid of the hatch. You never know, you may find a house that has room to work on the saloon then you'd probably be kicking yourself about getting rid. Is it in a usable condition?

burgo
25-01-13, 02:10 PM
I dont see why you cant have a nova as a daily. I have and love it. If I drove something boring I would fall asleep on thr way to work

scott.parker
25-01-13, 02:23 PM
I could have the JemYel as a daily, but would need to keep on top of looking after it and maintain it etc, also would need to find a 1.6 8v or something, as i would hate to do long journeys in it with the 1.2 4spd.

burgo
25-01-13, 02:29 PM
Why they will sit at 80 all day long. Dont need to go any quicker than that. I think the worst thing is the road noise but I just turn the radio up

scott.parker
25-01-13, 02:29 PM
is there a possibility of down grading the astra to a very cheap daily hack and keeping the two novas?

Dave the Astra is a low end hack lol the very most i could get with new brakes/tyres is £1400-1200

I think thats answered the question about the Astra. Everyone needs a boring daily sh!tbox, thats why I have the cav lol

Are you looking to move house in the near future? If so, I would say get rid of the hatch. You never know, you may find a house that has room to work on the saloon then you'd probably be kicking yourself about getting rid. Is it in a usable condition?

The loon is drivable as it is, but it has no MOT and will need work to get one, and Ive got a few bits for it already..
We have been in the process of probate on a house for about 6 months, and were close to giving up on it, it was/is perfect for us as its close to both works (hence wont need car for work) and it's got a massive long garage for the loon project!
She said one has to go if we move in there and the Astra seamed the best idea lol but now i dont know..

burgo
25-01-13, 02:33 PM
Yes you do. Go with your heart not your head. Thats what I do hence why I've got 8 cars lol

scott.parker
25-01-13, 02:33 PM
Burgo thats true, but i need to get a new stereo fitted in the glove box or something etc, as mine the old LM/MW with one crackly spear in dash lol

but its more the coilovers shaking your teeth out on long jaunts..

scott.parker
25-01-13, 02:35 PM
Yes you do. Go with your heart not your head. Thats what I do hence why I've got 8 cars lol

Fine! Tax and sell the Astra it is then! lol lol

peester
25-01-13, 02:54 PM
Dave the Astra is a low end hack lol the very most i could get with new brakes/tyres is £1400-1200

Yeah, potentially end up with a balance of £900 to spend on other things, if you replaced it with a decent mk3 astra (?) at £500.. that might be cheaper to insure tax and fuel than the mk4 sri.

Mike
25-01-13, 04:19 PM
I have and love it. If I drove something boring I would fall asleep on thr way to work

If you did the miles I do I garantee you would not say this lol lol

Alex J
25-01-13, 05:56 PM
sell or scrap the lot, apart from the yellow hatch, tear the engine out, and big block it, then spend the rest on getting wasted and kfc!

Spudly
25-01-13, 06:01 PM

In fairness id hardly call your astra 'low-end' its a 1.8 SRi, thats pretty decent imo, i think the meaning there was like something small engined, 1.2 or 1.4 or even a small engined diesel or something along those lines, a diesel 106 or 306 or something like that!

Adam
25-01-13, 07:06 PM
TBH if the astra has been reliable then i'd keep it. They do everything well.....
Mk4's are hardly worth selling these days and if you buy anything as cheap as a mk4 sells for then its bound to have some issues that your current car probably doesnt?

I'd get rid of one of the novas.

Calamity Josh
25-01-13, 08:50 PM
I dont see why you cant have a nova as a daily. I have and love it. If I drove something boring I would fall asleep on the way to work

mines going to be a daily as of next month, for the journey between essex and college in oxford (although i go up there, stay, and come back for weekends)but i can't wait, would far prefer something different :)