PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox's for c20xe

Lee-bo
24-01-13, 07:52 PM
Im relatively new to the old school vauxhall scene, but do have a reasonable knowledge. The 1 thing im not sure on is the gearbox's, and which ones are compatable with what engines... Ive read through about 20 searches regarding gearbox's, diffs, 'Which gearbox is best for acceleration..', which gearbox is the best...' blah blah posts - BUT im still confused as there seems to be a massive confusion, with many posts contradicting each other etc.

Now then, im going to be fitting a 2.0 16v (XE) engine to my mk2 in the near future and want to know what is the correct gearbox to use. Im not a boy racer who wants to race people at traffic lights, nor am i interested in 0-60 times lol - i just want to have a decent cruising speed on motorways (and not screaming the engine doing 65mph), and to have a useable acceleration around town etc...

Ive seen people use/talk of F13, F18, F20, F23, F25 gearboxs but i have literally no idea what is designed for what engine? Im aware that some versions come in a CR (close ratio) and a WR (wide ratio) but i dont know which ones these are. I work a race mechanic, so i dont need to be told the principles of diff ratios etc lol - but i just want an idea, maybe a list of what gearbox's are compatable with what engines.

I dont want this to be a 'my gearbox is better than yours...' thread lol, just a informative chat on what the specs/mechanical differences/compatabilities are between the different box's.

Lee

mowgli
24-01-13, 08:10 PM
the original supply was the f16cr, which is the same fit as the f18 & f20.

the xe fitting kits are based around these gboxes.

you can fit an f13/f15/f17, but you need to source a flywheel off a 1.7 non turbo diesel mk2 astra...

people have also fitted the f28 6speed(usually for turbo), the f23 & the f25,

basically, the f number is supposed to be the torque the box will take ( i'm not sure it is 100% true) so the larger no. the stronger the box.

Lee-bo
24-01-13, 08:39 PM
Ok thats cool, so is the F23/F25 a direct 'bolt on' to the XE, or do you need some sort of adapter plate etc? I know the F28 is the 6 speed box. The F23/F25's ive seen advertised seem to be from 'newer' astra's and vectra's - so this seems to be a good bet for a newer box, but do they bolt straight onto the XE? Also, do they come in CR and WR versions? Silly question, but is the difference between CR and WR just the diff ratio, or are the actual gear ratios different?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lee

Balley
24-01-13, 10:54 PM
The box they came with was a F20, I would fit one of them my self. or a F18 out of a petrol car not diesel.

Nobby
24-01-13, 10:56 PM
heres a stripdown of the ratios ideally you want a F20 with a diesel wr 5th for cruising on motorway etc

http://www.vectra-sport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2385

Lee-bo
25-01-13, 08:28 AM
Thats cool, the F20 seems to be the popilar choice. Another silly question but how do you know what a 'Diesel' box is?

Lee

Balley
25-01-13, 10:12 AM
Its has a longer ratio, because they don't rev as high. Normally the f18w but not always

Mieran
25-01-13, 11:33 AM
F20 is what you want in your case. They are all the same apart from the 4x4 models so you cant go wrong.

Also you can't just "choose" what box you want because you have to consider mounts and clutch operation (cable & hydraulic). Anything after the F20 (F23, F28,F25 etc) will need extra work regarding mounts and they're not a direct bolt on.

Lee-bo
25-01-13, 04:26 PM
So potentially, an F20 with a WR (diesel) F20 5th gear would be the best of both worlds?

Ah ok, thanks Mieran - thats what i was after.

Lee

Mieran
25-01-13, 08:39 PM
Just get a F20 and fit it, the end. lol

Lee-bo
26-01-13, 12:28 PM
Lol! - problem solved!

Lee