PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a Nova?

Vinnyzf
24-01-13, 01:46 PM
Hi there,
I've been really looking into getting a Nova at some point this year. I'm 20 and I've always liked them. I've been looking at saloons mainly, but definitely wouldn't mind a hatchback, and I'm thinking of buying one soon.
Is there anything I should look for in particular? Common problems etc?

Thanks everyone, and I'm looking forward to checking through threads and seeing some beauties!

Cheers, Vin :)

pete17
24-01-13, 01:48 PM
RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

L33 LEG
24-01-13, 01:50 PM
Rust and more rust. Everything else is easy enough to replace so just double check everywhere for rust

mikey093
24-01-13, 01:54 PM
Definatly rust lol

Vinnyzf
24-01-13, 02:01 PM
So I should check for Rust? ;)

Haha cheers everyone.

turbojolt
24-01-13, 02:18 PM
beware of people that are happy with the underseal.

Novasport
24-01-13, 02:37 PM
Is there anything I should look for in particular?

The nearest exit. Keep your money and run!!!!!!!!

Vinnyzf
24-01-13, 02:44 PM
What do you suggest instead? :)

Steve
24-01-13, 02:46 PM
Badly modified cars, if you but an original un-abused one, thats half the problems out the way!

Nothing worse than buying a car and spending 90% of your time fixing some half-witts bodged repairs. My corsa redtop was a prime example!! lol

L33 LEG
24-01-13, 03:15 PM
What do you suggest instead? :)

They're pretty much more expensive than any ten year old hot hatch which wont rust as much so your head should say go for one of them, but if you love novas then go for it. They're a perfect car to learn things, in the end of the ownership you'll know how to build one from scratch down to every bolt so it is fun.

Also agree with the underseal, the reason why im leaving my arches alone is so when i come to sell it people wont think im hiding anything.

turbojolt
24-01-13, 03:26 PM
thats why I'm taking pictures of every stage lol

check everywhere for rust, when it comes to novas its inevitable your going to have to sort out some of it at some point, but that doesn't mean you should settle with a complete bucket of **** to start off with!

other then that all the normal things check oil levels, check if there is anti-freeze in there (shows someone looked after it), check under the oil cap for mayo, tyre levels any strange noises when driving, squeeks can be anything from bushes to struts or trim all are easy to replace and easy to find on here and other sites

great little cars to learn how to do basic stuff on, everything is dirt cheap for them aswell!

mowgli
24-01-13, 05:37 PM
mostly, don't buy one off a lad in derby who lives opposite a co-op & a chip shop.....lol

turbojolt
24-01-13, 05:58 PM
^^ dont have any of it, that lad is a top bloke

Vinnyzf
24-01-13, 08:07 PM
HAHA. Cheers everyone! Being quoted mad insurance prices for one, so will have to wait till I'm at least 21 unfortunately :(

I think I'll get myself a nice project in a year or two. :)

Southie
24-01-13, 08:12 PM
Save save save, buy one with a decent project thread and it will be worth it.

All Novas will need work unless you buy one that's had mega ££££'s thrown at it... Tbh though recently on here even a £4k motor had quite a few issues though.

I hope you handy with the spanners... I'm not talking about Sparkie on here btw lol

mk1nova_rich
25-01-13, 12:47 PM
Buy the best you can afford, especially when it comes to bodywork. It will save you money in the long run :thumb:

novadave24
25-01-13, 04:03 PM
Rust rust and more rust :)

_Jake
25-01-13, 06:40 PM
HAHA. Cheers everyone! Being quoted mad insurance prices for one, so will have to wait till I'm at least 21 unfortunately :(

I think I'll get myself a nice project in a year or two. :)
i insured a 1.2 mk1 for sensible money when i was 17 so its not impossible, (im 18 now, so wasnt exactly a light year ago)

Alex J
25-01-13, 06:48 PM
look to see if its a nova, then walk away...