PDA

View Full Version : welding

turbojolt
24-01-13, 06:22 AM
Ive applied for a even course in welding, it a basic course -3268 intro to welding skills,

what i want to know is how i would go about progressing with it if i enjoy it, as far as i can see I'm to old for a apprenticeship (not that i could live on that wage anyways), would it just be a case of phoning about looking for someone willing to take on a novice and train them up?

i see there is another course after this one which is also a basic level 2 intro to gas welding, only problem with that is the courses run from September for Weeks so it would be nearly a year from one course to the next!

any help or advice would be great cheers :thumb:

MK999
24-01-13, 06:53 AM
Look at TIG, guessing your basic course will touch on it, most people can MIG and you can get odd jobs even without certificates in some places, but with MIG you're looking at low end fabrication, best thing you'd get would probably be roll cage installs. So basically the odd engineering firm here and there, and chances are they can all MIG weld to a decent standard (or teach themselves within a day) if you can TIG to a high standard though it's a much rarer skill, and you're then looking at anything from FIA spec cages to pretty much any one off aluminium manufacture and probably even some batch production/smaller mass production.

Andy
24-01-13, 10:15 AM
Teach themselves within a day eh?
Are you selling any of that stuff your smoking?

Pistol Pete
24-01-13, 12:20 PM
lol

Do the course by all means. Then buy a cheap welder and crack on.

GRUNT 16V
24-01-13, 12:39 PM
I have 3 city in guilds in welding lvl2 mig lvl2 alloy tig and lvl2 arc did it over the 3 school terms in the evening so it took me 3 years

meritlover
24-01-13, 01:06 PM

I agree with MK999

If you cant MIG to a reasonable standard after a day of practicing then its not for you, and you will deffinately struggle with TIG if thats the case.

TIG takes ages to crack. especially aluminium welding. but its made a bit easier with a H.F start. Youll be sick of re grining your tungston after touching the workpiece after a couple of hours but you will get the hang of it.

buy a stick (arc) welder and some thick bits of scrap MS but no thinner than 1.5 or you'll blow holes in it as a beginner. arcs are cheap (about £40 for a cheapo) and so are rods. practice the prep and running beads for a basic appreciation. you get away with murder with MMAW as theres loads of flux and heat to burn away the dirt. MIG is forgiving and great for car bodies but TIG needs to be spotless and have near perfect prep.

MIG is quite an expensive tool to have if you dont use it often, bottle hire/purchase and initial cost is relatively significant. dont bother with gasless unless you weld tracktors in a windy field.

Plenty of Youtube tutorials to get you started.

Obviousy you will need a course/certs to prove competent and demonstrate you can achieve a recognised standard.

_Jake
24-01-13, 01:07 PM
ive got lvl 3 diploma in MIG TIG & MMA (welding in flat/vert up & overhead) gas welding is obsolete now, TIG has pretty much replaced it so i wouldnt bother with that. & @MK999 you cannot teach yourself to mig to a safe standard in a day, you might be able to drop some bird poo on some 3mm plate in a day, but thats it. are you looking at getting into the welding trade Turbojolt?

Andy
24-01-13, 01:14 PM
You cant teach yourself to weld in a day,no chance.I dont care who you are.
You might "weld" after a day,but none of them would pass any tests.
Theres very different angles to weld and different types of weld,different thicknesses etc etc

turbojolt
24-01-13, 02:08 PM
ive got lvl 3 diploma in MIG TIG & MMA (welding in flat/vert up & overhead) gas welding is obsolete now, TIG has pretty much replaced it so i wouldnt bother with that. & @MK999 you cannot teach yourself to mig to a safe standard in a day, you might be able to drop some bird poo on some 3mm plate in a day, but thats it. are you looking at getting into the welding trade Turbojolt?

its one of the many things im looking into right now mate, seems like a good trade from what ive seen it pays alright money and i cant see a time when welders will not be needed!

thats why ive applyed for this course to get a taste for it, even if i dont take it on as a trade its bound to give me some good tips for welding on my own cars etc

meritlover
24-01-13, 02:30 PM
how much does the course cost?

turbojolt
24-01-13, 02:33 PM
its free

meritlover
24-01-13, 02:41 PM
how is it free?

turbojolt
24-01-13, 02:47 PM
derby college must be getting a some kinda goverment grant for providing it, other then that i dont know there is a exam fee of 80/90 quid tho

Southie
24-01-13, 02:57 PM
Free for £80-£90, that's a funny Free lol

turbojolt
24-01-13, 03:00 PM
training is still free lol

meritlover
24-01-13, 03:33 PM
i see. you would think it would be better to make the course refundable on successful completion.
otherwise where is the incentive to pass as apposed to just spending a few days out of the cold?

what a strange world we live in. i find it really scary?

mowgli
24-01-13, 05:18 PM
there are lots of these college skills courses that are aimed at NVQ style learning that don't cost you anything until the assessment needs doing.

Mike
24-01-13, 06:31 PM
£80 or 90 quid for to pick up some basic welding skillz from a learned man. No brainer for a novice if you ask me.

MK999
24-01-13, 10:08 PM

I am not, think BOC might sell it in big bottles though, or maybe try a hospital. It's street name is Oxy-gen or Ohtoo.

As Meritlover said, if you can't stick two bits of metal together within a day it's not something you'll get on with. Personally I was given a 10 minute intro to how the kit works and then told to weld something together, given 4-5 people an introduction to it also and they were competent enough to build something out of a bit of box steel, plate etc within half hour to an hour.

meritlover
25-01-13, 08:56 AM
I am not, think BOC might sell it in big bottles though, or maybe try a hospital. It's street name is Oxy-gen or Ohtoo.

this made me giggle.