PDA

View Full Version : transmission input shaft

geordie_racer
18-08-03, 08:35 PM
hi withdrew the transmission input shaft to put my engine back in, n now it won't go back in. my mate reckons just tap it back in with a hammer but it doesn't wasnt 2 go. wot du guys reckon?

cheers
chris

Mark
18-08-03, 08:43 PM
Give it a wiggle and whack it!!
:o

geordie_racer
18-08-03, 08:55 PM
been told i probably need to align the clutch friction plate so ill give that a go otherwise mr sledge is cummin out

Dicko
19-08-03, 09:29 AM
is the engine in the car? can be a right bugger!!!!

if youv not had the clutch/plate off then theres no reason why you shud have this problem

stevorally
19-08-03, 12:27 PM
It doesn't matter if you've had the clutch off or not, as soon as the input shaft is removed from the center of the plate the plate is free to move within the cover. Ive found the best way is with the engine in the car and bolted to the transmission, loosen all the bolts on the clutch cover and move it around until the input shaft slides home in the plate then refit the cover bolts.

What ever you do don't start whacking the end of the onput shaft.

geordie_racer
19-08-03, 06:49 PM
had the shaft out so it was easier to fit the engine 2 the gearbox as there aint much room in the bay 4 swingin engines round stupid little shafts

cheers
chris

brian
20-08-03, 05:12 AM
next time take out engine and box together. its the only way to do it right up to a valver. take off both T.C.A's and drop the car onto the engine :wink:

Mark
20-08-03, 07:38 AM
Me thinks Brian may have doen this once or twice!! :D

Dicko
20-08-03, 10:02 AM
It doesn't matter if you've had the clutch off or not, as soon as the input shaft is removed from the center of the plate the plate is free to move within the cover. Ive found the best way is with the engine in the car and bolted to the transmission, loosen all the bolts on the clutch cover and move it around until the input shaft slides home in the plate then refit the cover bolts.

What ever you do don't start whacking the end of the onput shaft.

not true. does on some engines and not others. wasnt sure on that particualr engine!

geordie_racer
20-08-03, 08:10 PM
wish i was stickin a valver in it :roll: no its a 14sr engine so usin the same box hence i didn't remove it n just moved the input shaft

brian
21-08-03, 05:03 AM
usin the same box hence i didn't remove it n just moved the input shaft
i know what you mean but believe me its a lot more straight forward to drop the lot out.

geordie_racer
21-08-03, 06:16 PM
still not bad only takin me a day still if i take out all the tea breaks n stoppages 4 cut hands! that includes, engine rebuild n rewirin cos it was gettin shoddy

chris

Ste_Nova
22-08-03, 09:34 AM
1.0 to 1.4sr swap... one night after work... finished in about 3 hours... through the bottom

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/psc/imageup/1061541502__engineswap.jpg

geordie_racer
22-08-03, 02:49 PM
yeah i cud of done it quicker but i took the time to do a few other bits while the engine was out as i had the space but neway it's hardly a competition 2 how quick it can be done

Ste_Nova
22-08-03, 03:06 PM
what difference does the space make?

have you got the input shaft back in yet :lol:

geordie_racer
23-08-03, 02:10 AM
yep shafts in. space makes it easier to fix a few rust patches n through some paint in the bay :D