PDA

View Full Version : Virgin media connection

Jack
23-01-13, 09:54 AM
Thinking of getting VM phone & fibre broadband in my new digs. I get the keys on the 11th Feb, but don't want to be offline for ages (like I was when I moved to my current place lol) so thinking of putting the order in early.

How long do they normally take to come out and install/connect a line, or can I choose a specific date when I order?

turbojolt
23-01-13, 10:01 AM
i asked for a date i wanted and they done it, dont know if i was just lucky tho lol

Edd
23-01-13, 10:31 AM
What's fibre broadband?

Oh yeah the thing I might be able to get in 2035 lol

meritlover
23-01-13, 10:39 AM
you can choose an installation date. if they give you a date that isnt suitable after you have agreed to join, cancel your order.

you should be able to pick a date which aligns with your move in for a seamless transfer.

Mike
23-01-13, 06:05 PM
Do you know if the house is already wired for Virgin?

If it is, itll be a simple case of VM line test, plug in hardware, setup, done.

Jack
23-01-13, 06:23 PM
Not sure. VM say the street is connected when I do their online checking thing on the address. I'm guessing they'll probably do a BT thing and just book an engineer visit anyway?

Adam
23-01-13, 07:37 PM
My old house was wired up for VM, but they still sent an engineer out to hook things up.

16v Nova Kev
23-01-13, 07:54 PM
I don't know what's the hold up down there. I have had it for 10 years

Mike
23-01-13, 09:57 PM
My old house was wired up for VM, but they still sent an engineer out to hook things up.

Installation tech would have to come out regardless Ad. All the hardware needs a digital "hit" (like a Unix ping) to activate it once its wired up.

If your house is wired, theres nothing saying its still connected to the network though, if a cab clean has been done in your area your dead line would be disconnected at the green box. If however, its still connected, you can use a VM line to get perfect signal freeview using an old V+ or VM HD box :thumb:

Iain
23-01-13, 10:00 PM
Had Virgin installed late last year at my new place, I think the wait was approx 3 weeks since booking. If you register early you can pick an installation date for when you've moved in

Jack
23-01-13, 10:25 PM
Just gone to take another look, did the check on the postcode and property number as I've done a few times now (inc earlier today) and now its saying the property already has virgin media services lol

[edit] I guess this makes it easier for them to install? Not sure why it didn't say it was connected before, just that I was in a VM area.

Jack
24-01-13, 05:38 PM
Ordered, yay :)

Earliest install date was the 7th. Pick up the keys on the 11th so rescheduled for the 14th.

mowgli
24-01-13, 05:46 PM
Just gone to take another look, did the check on the postcode and property number as I've done a few times now (inc earlier today) and now its saying the property already has virgin media services lol

[edit] I guess this makes it easier for them to install? Not sure why it didn't say it was connected before, just that I was in a VM area.

it means there is a small ducting to the front edge of your boundary.
if you are really lucky, the wires are still in, so you will be sorted, if for example, the whole front is paved over, they might refuse to do it, like what happened to my wife's friend... they only bury the cable about 2" deep so be careful when you are winter digging your garden lol

Jack
24-01-13, 05:49 PM
Winter?

Garden?

http://i.imgur.com/0EbST.jpg

turbojolt
24-01-13, 06:00 PM
in my old house there was a small box in the corner of the room they just had to run there cables of that, job jobbed took them about 20 mins max

Mike
24-01-13, 06:26 PM
In the foot path there'll be a drop pipe with a CATV flip cover, the cable goes from that, through the boundary wall/fence etc to the property. Normally they put the cables at the outer most edge of your properties land buried in a green tube.

From there itll go to whats called an Omni box (brown plastic VM box screwed to the exterior wall) from there it goes through the wall into the property.

I used to do domestic & business installations for VM (via Fujitsu) but walked out the job as it was pretty **** tbh lol

mowgli
24-01-13, 06:46 PM
i worked on a place in leicester where they had screwed a cable on top of the tarmac with those fire alarm cable type clips....bodging or what?

Mike
24-01-13, 06:51 PM
i worked on a place in leicester where they had screwed a cable on top of the tarmac with those fire alarm cable type clips....bodging or what?

Awesome lol

If the tenant doesnt want the drive digging up then it dont leave many other options really lol