PDA

View Full Version : golf calipers onto nova rear beam

stuartp
21-01-13, 09:57 PM
Hi all. I've done a search with not much luck. I'm looking to convert the rear brakes on the nova rally car to discs. Seen a few comments about golf mk4 callipers on custom brackets. Can anyone point me to a thread on this or someone's wip that's done it.

Jeff16v
21-01-13, 10:00 PM
I've heard of older golf rear calipers, not mk4

chrisd1986
21-01-13, 10:02 PM
mk2 golf rear calipers are crap iirc i had to buy a adapter kit to fit mk4 calipers to my mk2

stuartp
21-01-13, 10:05 PM
Fit what mk4 to what mk2 lol is it a case of getting some mk2 golf rear stub axles and then source some discs?

mowgli
21-01-13, 10:18 PM
the mk2 golf is 4x100 pcd, so you could reuse the nova stubs, machind down the drums to make hubs & then fit golf discs...

remember, its only cosmetic, as the rear drums are more than man enough to stop a nova with

stuartp
21-01-13, 10:33 PM
Were finding the standard drums and uprated shoes unreliable. All so it time consuming to inspect drum brakes during a 20min servise whilst at a rally. All so wouldn't putting a disc over the trimmed down drum be like fitting a spacer?

SimonTW
21-01-13, 10:41 PM
The brackets are available from protec. You use a Golf mk2 disc with the bearing race spaced out 5mm (protec can supply the washers). Golf 2/3/4 calipers are all interchangable but the mk4 uses a spring loaded handbrake cable mechanism and the main caliper body is alloy.

stuartp
21-01-13, 10:46 PM
I'm sure I've read through your thread as it came up in the search. What bearing and stub axle is used if doing it this way? Everything else makes science.... :-)

Mark
21-01-13, 11:01 PM
Don't bother, use astra MK4 stuff.

stuartp
21-01-13, 11:19 PM
I'm starting to think that the more I look into it people seem to be fitting everything but vw callipers now days. My r32 rear callipers r rubbish the un sprung clearance pad to disk is to tight they drag and squeak in reverse. But there to suit vented disks which I don't want on the rally car. Just seems golf stuff has been tried and tested. My mate a vw nut so will question his spare bin and check my mk4 astra parts bin to oz. Thanks all

Mark
21-01-13, 11:37 PM
Astra stuff does the job..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CorsaNova/NovaSaloon/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODE0LTAxMDAzLmpwZw.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CorsaNova/NovaSaloon/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODA2LTAwOTc0LmpwZw.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CorsaNova/NovaSaloon/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODA2LTAwOTcxLmpwZw.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CorsaNova/NovaSaloon/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODA2LTAwOTcyLmpwZw.jpg

mowgli
22-01-13, 12:34 AM
re the drums. the dead easy fix is to drill a 12mm hole in the drum face that lines up with the adjuster. then you whip the wheel off, and using a small allen key to pull the little metal arm out of the way, you can then stick a small screwdriver in to adjust up the brake.

gm had brake trouble with the group A gte rally cars, and so they homologated the astra mk2 16v type rear disc/drum setup, but fitted a hydraulic handbrake to work the calipers, as the tiny handbrake drum is useless for handbrake turns.

i'm surprised you are getting rear brake trouble, are you using a lot of rear bias??

brainsnova
22-01-13, 12:58 AM
Vw rear calipers are prone to seize lol so standard drums or Astra

SimonTW
22-01-13, 07:58 AM
The stub axle is Nova and the bearing is VW.

stuartp
22-01-13, 12:59 PM
We've tried a few things. Its a hard balance to get the hydraulic handbrake to work efficiently with out constantly adjusting the shoes. No ATM the bia's is on the front brakes mainly. I've just found two genuine brand new astra 4 rear callipers but there both n/s. So I'll get the o/s and mark have you a wip running showing how you converted yours? I own 3 astra4 vans but there all drummed. I'm assuming its a similar conversation to the cav/astra plates. Just need mk4 astra plates etc???

stt
24-01-13, 01:25 PM
I've used mk4 golf callipers on my nova rear beam,
Have a look in my projects thread:-)