PDA

View Full Version : When selling an engine......

meach86
20-01-13, 11:16 AM
When selling an engine is it best to leave it in the car until a sale I agreed so the buyer can see it running or just take the engine out and sell it that way?

Cheers, Lee

dc1984
20-01-13, 11:23 AM
yes mate, i struggled to sell my last c20xe because i had removed it.

david.

remember to take a deposit to ensure they come back for the engine incase they find another one cheaper and dont come back for yours:thumb:

meach86
20-01-13, 11:26 AM
Saves me going out in the snow then today :) cheers mate!

Spudly
20-01-13, 11:52 AM
Look at it from the buyers point of view, you want to buy their engine, and you will always get from the seller.... 'zomg, it are the bestest (insert generic engine model/cc here) ever, it never blows up, it never rattles or taps, it never leaks, its never been ragged by a boy racer and its never seen the limiter in every gear evaaaar' lol

But unless you can see/hear it running, how are you supposed to know, you will have to take their word for it, and it might even turn out to be siezed solid!

If you have the time to do so, id leave it in and capable of starting, or you could make a video of it starting, and as long as you show the clocks to verify its been fired up from cold (or demonstrate by holding your hand on the exhaust manifold to prove its cold) and maybe put a close up of a newspaper to demo the date, that could/would be good to show to a potential buyer (as it could also be more of a pain getting a buyer to come round to view it running, then have to arrange them to come back after removal) just a few ideas for you to think about :thumb:

meach86
20-01-13, 11:55 AM
Thanks Spud very helpful mate :thumb:

paul080803
20-01-13, 02:26 PM
I think it also comes down to what you want for it and how quickly you want to sell it.

If you want top money and can be patient then leave it in. Likely to reduce your selling audience as somebody will come look/listen then leave a deposit then come back a second time to collect.

However remove it and you will prob sell it quicker but for less money as people will knock off an amount of 'risk' money.