PDA

View Full Version : Strange readings on my code reader - C20LET

joff-turbo-nova
19-01-13, 09:06 PM
Well tried to give the nova a run up to temperature today as I haven't run her since 27th December . Anyway it won't kick into life.

Battery is on constant trickle charge so I have good power, I have just put 5 litres of fuel in from a small jerry can and have checked the plugs, leads and dizzy cap all of which are clean and not caked up.

We have a spark as I have checked with no1 out , but the engine just cranks and just occasionally splutters but thats it.

I have a clicking from the fuel relay when cranking and good pressure at the rail.

HOWEVER... upon hooking up my Sykes Pickavant code reader and monitor , there are no fault codes but its telling me the coolant is at 197 °C :eek: and the intake temperature is at 190 °C .:eek:

Something is very wrong.

I think the battery may be on the way out, and with the near zero temperatures, even in the garage, I think the battery may be spitting is dummy out when cranking and not delivering enough power to the ECU - it doesn't take too long to flatten the battery which I have done twice today (and charged it back up) trying to get it going.

Anyone got any thoughts of anything else - may change the coolant temp sensor just to be on the safe side as well .

I have a new GM 50 Ah battery I picked up a couple of weeks ago I got under warranty from GM which I may swap in.

Joff

Andy
19-01-13, 09:09 PM
Earths all good??
It should throw up the crank sensor code though,was that not present?

joff-turbo-nova
19-01-13, 09:11 PM
Earths all good??
It should throw up the crank sensor code though,was that not present?

Yes , when not running it always chucks up no engine RPM signal - forgot to mention as I normally ignore that one!

Lots of big chunky earths on this conversion so no issues - I will put some jump leads between the -ve terminal and the block just to make sure tomorrow.

Joff

Andy
19-01-13, 09:13 PM
Try a different battery,borrow a good working one from one of your other cars and see how it goes.Once they die theyre normally goner's,and it has been like -10 this week.

Peanut_119
19-01-13, 09:18 PM
Not sure on let's but my mates corsa xe did this and was stumped for aged, he just unpluged the Cts and it fired straight up, and once he changed it, it ran fine with no issues since.
Worth a try?

joff-turbo-nova
19-01-13, 09:26 PM
Not sure on let's but my mates corsa xe did this and was stumped for aged, he just unpluged the Cts and it fired straight up, and once he changed it, it ran fine with no issues since.
Worth a try?

Order of work :-

1. Change battery if not running
2. Check earths using jump lead , if not running
3. Swap CTS if not running - Prey (well it is Sunday!)

Joff

Peanut_119
19-01-13, 09:35 PM
Sounds like a plan, keep us updated.

Benn
20-01-13, 09:01 AM
You swure it's not the code reader? Some don't fully work with GM stuff and give wrong codes and such.

And i've given up with trickle changers. Found they never give enough, so i just charge mine every 2 weeks now.

Andy
20-01-13, 09:22 AM
Why not just run the things up? Theyre cars afterall lol
There is no better battery charger than the cars alternator.

nova_niek
20-01-13, 09:24 AM
Morning Joff, any progress?

brucer
20-01-13, 01:19 PM
You swure it's not the code reader? Some don't fully work with GM stuff and give wrong codes and such.

seconded, if you dont go into the right car/engine it gives you the wrong parameter readings sometimes. are you using obd or manufacturer? never used the tool you got so dont know how it works.

joff-turbo-nova
20-01-13, 04:19 PM
Hi all,

All now working you will be pleased to know.

Changed the battery which didn't work. Changed the CTS no joy . Checked the earths all OK.

Changed the leads and much to the wife's consternation I baked the spark plugs in our new Bosch oven for 20 mins at 150 degrees.

Wapped the plugs in hot and she started first time !!

Still not sure on the temp readings - I'm using one of these :-

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Sykes-Pickavant-ACR4-code-reader-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqR,!loFCK8j6yitBQmOwqjFwQ~~60_35.JPG

However I use opcom on the Meriva's as they are canbus(ish) .

Joff

Spudly
20-01-13, 04:23 PM
You reckon it was just down to really cold plugs thah caused it Joff, mine hasnt seen much activity of late, but when i have fired it up, its had a missfire and a splutter up the revs until its really hot, like properly warmed up after about half an hour or so of driving, wondering if ive got the same issue, deep cold plugs?