PDA

View Full Version : What's this then?

Nova_Tek
19-01-13, 06:55 PM
Evening all,

In the process of eliminating electrical bits and pieces on the Cavalier to get rid of an electrical gremlin making it run rough.

I've ordered a new fuel pump relay which in the early SEH's is located in the engine bay but there is another small relay that is located next to it which the part number corresponds to nothing (on an online EPC).

Anyone able to tell me what it is?

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3838/imag0698u.jpg

Sorry for the orientation... imageshack isn't working properly at the moment
(Rotate the image to the left mentally).

The little relay which sits on it's yellow plug is the one I am questionning. The other larger relay is the fuel relay. Both are stored in a little black box top right side of the engine bay.

Any ideas?

scoobyeater
19-01-13, 07:04 PM
ignition relay?

craig green
19-01-13, 09:57 PM
Have you thought of identifying the colours of the wring going into said relay? That should point as to what function of the car they belong to.

Nova_Tek
19-01-13, 11:40 PM
ignition relay?
Ignition relay is the larger one dude.

Have you thought of identifying the colours of the wring going into said relay? That should point as to what function of the car they belong to.

Not thought of that tbh... Only had a quick glance at it. May just take the part no down to Vauxhall & let them find out.

Jack
20-01-13, 12:08 AM
Whats the part number?

Nova_Tek
20-01-13, 11:36 PM

Asa-James
20-01-13, 11:39 PM
whats the running issue? i had a really rough and low idle on mine, since i tweaked the idle stop screw a tad it runs much better all over in my opinion

Nova_Tek
20-01-13, 11:50 PM
Erratic idle/rough running (runs on all 4), EM Light on when accelerating and off when off throttle (generally once car has warmed up, sometimes from cold but still runs rough with it on or off). Obvious drop in power/performance/mpg as the car feels hesitant when giving it some beans.

Changed/New plugs, leads, dizzy, rotor arm, octane plug, battery, fuel supply pipes, air filter, Idle control valve, cleaned AFM, breather hoses etc. Ordered CTS, Fuel pump relay.

Asa-James
21-01-13, 12:18 AM
gasket between throttle body and inlet was brittle and cracked on mine (gasket paper saved me there)

does it store any codes? and do you know of anyone local that you could borrow a complete AFM off? i had a fault on mine, cant remember but something wasnt reading right, relplaced it with a second hand one and not seen the problem since (management light on all the time, sluggish, occasional misfire/flaspot on hard acceleration)

edit - if your local to cheshire feel free to borrow mine :)

Nova_Tek
21-01-13, 12:31 AM
I'll check gaskets around the inlet I should have some spare about. Only stores one code which is battery low voltage. Checked engine earth and they are fine, checked wiring at ECU and it's dry and looks like new. Battery voltage when engine is running is ok. Will be changing the belts this week too.

I'm just chaging any small electrical relays that would affect running.

Nova_Tek
24-01-13, 07:59 PM
Went to Vauxhall to pick up a few bits that I ordered and gave them the part number for the 'unkown' relay. The part number is no longer in the catalogue. After a bit of searching there were equiv. relays to take its place as it is NLS but there were 10 different relays corresponding taking its place. Ranging from £8 to £55 and for a range of different engines. So it seems that there is an issue as Vauxhall themselves couln't pin point which is which.

Only conclusion we could think of after all that research is that it 'could' be the cooling fan relay. Got the fuel relay today anyway and the CTS so they will be getting changed over tomorrow. Fingers Crossed!

Jack
24-01-13, 09:24 PM
My V6 ran like a bag of nails a few years back - changing the CTS did fix it in the end

Nova_Tek
25-01-13, 12:31 AM
Hoping for the same Jack

Nova_Tek
26-01-13, 11:50 PM
SOLVED!

Got the CTS, fuel pump relay on Thursday.

First thing done was to change the relay as it was a 5 second job. Started it up straight after and POW... sweet as a NUT! Ran so well. Idle speed bang on and steady, no more hunting for revs. Engine running so quiet. AMAZED as to how much difference a £7.50 part has made. Took it for a spin and it drove well, responsive and smooth. Let it warm right up and no EM Lights. dad used it over two days with lots of town driving and still all is well.

Not chnaged the CTS yet. Will do it when I do the oil change.

Come to think of it I should have relaised it much earlier as revs would dive as if it was being staved for milliseconds, soon as you go to accelerate EM Light on (when asking for juice from the pump/injectors) and the electrical anomaly.

As you can tell I'm chuffed!