PDA

View Full Version : Stop facet fuel pump running with ignition on

gte-87
17-01-13, 10:27 PM
Hi how can I stop my facet fuel pump running hen engine not started at moment it is on a relay to battery thanks dan

Novasport
17-01-13, 11:14 PM
Switch?

mowgli
18-01-13, 08:58 AM
wire the relay into the permanent ign live, ie. the one that powers the coil, its usually a black wire coming out the back of the ign switch. then it will be on when the ign is on & off when the ign is off

bazil
18-01-13, 01:44 PM
I'd rather have a pump that only runs when the engine is running rather just if the ignition is on,

meritlover
18-01-13, 01:57 PM
You could wire a relay in series with your oil pressure light switch.

there should be plenty of fuel in the bowls to let it start before the pressure builds.

on a dry start you may need a 'prime' button or just crank it until theyre filled.

at least that way if you crash, fuel wont just be pumping out.

gte-87
18-01-13, 02:19 PM
We're would wire be and what colour for oil pressure switch on a gte thanks dan

meritlover
18-01-13, 02:42 PM
ive never done it myself, the idea just came to me as i thought about Brazils post.
the switch will be down at the oil pump housing above the OS driveshaft. i cant remember the colours. you would have to use the normally close set of contacts though as seen below.
the pump power would still have to come from the switched live.

Ign on + engine off = Oil light would be on so relay would be energised so contacts would be OC meaning the fuel pump relay cant energise.
Ign on + engine on = Oil light would be off so de energised relay would mean use of normally closed contacts would power the fuel pump relay
Ing off + engine off = oil light would on ,but not powered. NC contacts would not power the pump relay because the ign is off.

basically, ( i think) keep your existing relay to the switched live but power it through the N.C contacts of the second relay which has its coil in series with the Oil switch.

bazil
18-01-13, 07:36 PM
We're would wire be and what colour for oil pressure switch on a gte thanks dan

If its a GTE then use the standard fuel pump wiring. It's relayed and fused.

Meritmylover, you seen my point, I've been in an upside down nova, the last thing I wanted was fuel pishing eveywhere

therealnovaboy
18-01-13, 09:32 PM
Are you running carbs?

If you use the standard injection fuel pump relay and get rid of the ecu it wil not work. The relay is switched to neutral through the ecu, you would need to earth the ecu side of the relay.

mr lovers idea is quite good. You would need another relay with a normaly closed contact and an extra base.

scoobyeater
19-01-13, 07:42 AM
sorry to be dunb how is your ecu working if runnin carbs then no ecu?? as its all done by the mechanics of engine ie mechanic fuel pump also run the switch off the ignition coil an use the front fog light switch so its on an off thats what i have done then no horrid switches cut in slots anywhere also the only reson why people would want to have ignition on is headunit so why not wire the headunit up on permanent feed imo cheers