PDA

View Full Version : practical classics

marc69
17-01-13, 08:25 PM
Anyone else read this months issue? There is a comparison of 80s superminis and they comment on many true facts about the nova. From the individual reviews it seems the best all rounder (of course) but, they then say the best is the polo? Am I not right in saying it's a heavy, slow and stressed out at speed mobile?

The nova they chose is mint but personal preference would have been for an early example, just aesthetics lol

Although I think mine was the first Nova in Practical classics back in 2009?

mowgli
17-01-13, 09:03 PM
they used to have a blanket ban on novas. then someone did a feature on modified cars, like a crossflow powered pop, and the most chavved up 1800 ecotec nova with an evo bonnet, a pop fridge & a ps2 etc.... and the owner made sure the reg plates were removed.. so it did not much for the nova's reputation

it was in the era of will holman being editor, and he still hates novas which is why they don't get much of a look in at ppc mag.

they actually came on here looking for a bog std early nova in as new condition. i'm not sure anyone could help

marc69
17-01-13, 10:48 PM
I have a breg minter but was too far for them, still the H reg they got is immaculate and apparently ran perfectly, but seriously, a polo? lol

kent14sr
18-01-13, 08:33 AM
I have a breg minter but was too far for them, still the H reg they got is immaculate and apparently ran perfectly, but seriously, a polo? lol

Was the H reg one from the Vauxhall Heritage Centre?

meritlover
18-01-13, 10:03 AM
there seems to be an increasing crossover between PC and PPC to which i ceased my subscription about the time of the VAG diesel Caterham/westfield whatever it was.
Will Holman annoyed me. I think he was/is/has been the editor on both of those mags. If it wasnt a Ford BMW or VW he wasnt interested. The mag lost its way and lost identity. The 'stick a V8' mantra was retarded and turned perfectly practical cars into heavy, inefficient, expensive ones that looked bodged and poorly converted.
Quite often instead of demonstrating how to do something like a turbo conversion could be done cheaply and to a realtively good standard (which would make it 'practical' in my mind) they went out their way to do it as cheap as possible with various 'bodges' and poorly constructed work arounds.

You would be better building something like that from the knowledge on a forum, and using the £50 saving on subscription to go towards 2 hours dyno time.