PDA

View Full Version : anyone else ever bent the o/s body engine mount

stuartp
16-01-13, 11:14 AM
Removed the engine on the nova rally car and noticed the nut on the back of the rubber mount had rubbed and dented the chassis leg. The bolt that attaches the rubber mount to the engine mount has longated and nearly pulled through. The car is used heavily in tarmac events. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I'm going to plate around the chassis mount because its bent down between the two holes where the rubber bolts up to. Chat away and feel free to post any pics of strengthening you've done on yours. Ow and its all ready sporting a hh strengthening kit

John
16-01-13, 12:31 PM
Are you using solid mounts Stuart?

stuartp
16-01-13, 02:10 PM
Are you using solid mounts Stuart?

Yeah I should off mentioned that yep solid type been used

stuartp
17-01-13, 09:46 AM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/stuartp741/IMAG0509.jpg
Please don't comment on the welding it was all ready done bit will be getting re done. I've since had a quick attempt at hitting it with a hammer to straighten it back up

bazil
17-01-13, 09:50 AM
How did you have it mounted in? Surely if the two bolts were in place it can't bend in the middle?
I've never seen one of those bend before.

This is my steel protec solid mount, there is no way it can bend the mount due to its construction and how it fits in place,What mount were using? Any pics of mount?

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/pics/ebd4d2ac.jpg

John
17-01-13, 10:17 AM
Iirc the bolt head is very close to the chassis. Perhaps you could drill a hole in the leg to allow for some movement of thr bolt head. Obviously it needs as much strengthening as possible around that mounting area. Is the solid mount ok? Not broken?

stuartp
17-01-13, 10:24 AM
Im in sure of the mount make it was brand new aluminum jobbie its in perfect condition still just the chassis and mount cradle that got damaged. Its exactly the same as your set up bazil all though I've but the nut and bolt throught the rubber the opposite way because the nylon nut seated shallower then then the bolt head to give better clearence. I'm gonna plate with around the three sides of the mounting point and seem and puddle weld it to original one. Will get a pic up of the bolt on engine mount so has can see how its damaged

bazil
17-01-13, 10:38 AM
On mine the bolt head was very close to the chassis leg but didn't touch it and that was with the extra plating kit fitted too, still can't figure out how the metal mount got bent lol that's bizarre