Do you need a rear disc beam?

brian
18-08-03, 12:15 AM
no

Phil GTE
18-08-03, 01:02 PM
they look good tho :P

plus your wheels sit further in, so it helps with any arch clearance problems

possibility of them locking up at high speed, especially with a big block engine and a stripped out rear

i have rear discs and they have never locked up

Ste_Nova
18-08-03, 01:55 PM
they only sit further in if u do them wrong

brian
18-08-03, 03:57 PM
they only sit further in if u do them wrong
exactly.
If your rear wheels don't line through with the front you have fucked up!
Plus its not gonna help with handling

Mark
18-08-03, 07:14 PM
And if youre wheels start locking up, fit a bias valve, if youre good enough to fit a rear disc conversion this is a piece of piss.

krobinson
20-08-03, 01:57 PM
I've got one fitted to my Nova, but with no engine i havent got to test it yet. However my wheels line up exactly the same as my old beam.

Keith

Ben (lurk75)
20-08-03, 02:51 PM
I wouldnt bother.

Most people who do fit them end up fitting a bias valve and winding it down so much it is pointless having them in the first place.

Better off properly adjusting the rears and using some GRP A rear hubs.

krobinson
20-08-03, 03:35 PM
I personally want mine for looks. I wouldnt say its pointless, as it will improved braking, even if the bias is screwed down.

If there pointless because they only look great then why do we fit skirts? or paint our bumpers? pointless really but it looks better :D

Keith

brian
20-08-03, 05:18 PM
Most people who do fit them end up fitting a bias valve and winding it down so much it is pointless having them in the first place.

Better off properly adjusting the rears and using some GRP A rear hubs.
this is very true. i had rear discs and wouldn't be pushed about it again............but

there pointless because they only look great then why do we fit skirts? or paint our bumpers? pointless really but it looks better

Keiths point is also very true. its a very 50/50 thing and a personal choice.
personally i wouldn't bother again

Ben (lurk75)
20-08-03, 05:40 PM
I personally want mine for looks. I wouldnt say its pointless, as it will improved braking, even if the bias is screwed down.

If there pointless because they only look great then why do we fit skirts? or paint our bumpers? pointless really but it looks better :D

Keith

that would be a good point but... Have seen and heard nasty things happening when rear brakes arent set up right, and painting your bumpers dosent endanger yours and others people safety.