PDA

View Full Version : Suspension info required please

ash.blue
14-01-13, 09:55 PM
Ive been debating on lowering now for a while and looking for some info/direction.
Been looking about and gathering info here and there and making notes, I know corsa b springs lower more than nova ones. Ive also been looking at coilovers to, I fancy a good drop but also the function of changing height if its too low (obviously) .. Ive seen on project threads rear turrets being welded on with new metal strut work. Can anyone inform me on this please, and why its done ?

I know it may seem a stupid question
Thanks for reading,
Ash

Benn
14-01-13, 10:02 PM
I'd just buy a Nova kit. Coilover are great, but do you need them? If you'll be raising and lowering the cars lots then get them. If not buy a low fixed kit. Alot of people waist money on coilovers when they don't really need them.

Rear turrets are put in to move the coilover body away from the wheel and tyre as well as add more strength to the shell. As a Nova turret and wheel arch isn't built for a coilover. If you are going to that point, you'll want to beef up the beam mount too.

ash.blue
14-01-13, 10:44 PM
Like a nova lowering kit, dampers and springs. I was after coilovers as I was thinking of 60-80mm :/

Ive seen coilover kits with seperate rear springs, basically a damper and a spring with adjustable platform for the spring to sit on. Wasnt sure if these type of kits were ok.

As you can probably tell im new to all this, ive always liked the nova and its been a very slow thing due to all kinds of factors, but basically I just dont want it wobbling like a jelly in corners or being too stiff and rigid wen im using it .. If that makes sense

mk1nova_rich
14-01-13, 10:52 PM
Corsa springs will make a Nova sit higher not lower :)

ash.blue
14-01-13, 11:01 PM
Ok, someone from here told me it was other way round :/ .. Glad I didnt go buying corsa ones now :D

Thanks for setting me straight on that

Benn
14-01-13, 11:23 PM
Like a nova lowering kit, dampers and springs. I was after coilovers as I was thinking of 60-80mm :/

Ive seen coilover kits with seperate rear springs, basically a damper and a spring with adjustable platform for the spring to sit on. Wasnt sure if these type of kits were ok.

As you can probably tell im new to all this, ive always liked the nova and its been a very slow thing due to all kinds of factors, but basically I just dont want it wobbling like a jelly in corners or being too stiff and rigid wen im using it .. If that makes sense

Cheaper kits will still be a shock and spring at the rear, you have to spend abit more to get a coilover rear. Getting a good set up will mean you can adjust it to where you are happy ride wise as well as height.

ash.blue
14-01-13, 11:31 PM
Yer, venom and fk setup I believe are seperate damper spring rear units. They go for £160+ ive heard and go from 30-100 (not sure on that though)
I know what you mean like bilstein and gaz type of coilovers for full adjustability to suit

mowgli
15-01-13, 04:55 AM
all these budget coilover kits seem to come from germany, where the roads are really smooth........

uk roads aren't anywhere near smooth

buy the most expensive ones you can afford. for decent handling on the road, you only need about a 50mm drop max...

remember its your money, so its your choice.

Benn
15-01-13, 07:46 AM
Wise words^

mk1nova_rich
15-01-13, 03:24 PM
Cheap coilovers are utter ****e IMO, you get what you pay for