PDA

View Full Version : Xe thermostat and general maintanance

marc69
14-01-13, 09:25 PM
My xe is never running out of the blue in the temperature gauge and the heater is ever only luke warm. The seller thought it is a cool running thermostat but I think it is faulty or non existant.

Is it a hard job to change a thermostat on these?

Also what other maintance is essential, the cam belt was changed 5K ago so hopefully that shouldn't need looking at?

Is there a guide for these engines or, what haynes manual would I need to get?

Thanks

turbojolt
14-01-13, 09:34 PM
the thermostat is a peice of piss to acess its sitting high up on the left hand side of the engine, pull off the top hose think its 2 or 3 bolts holding the thermostat housing on, then reverse that process, refill and bleed

Benn
14-01-13, 09:59 PM
3x 6mm Allen key. Cool running stats are utter sh*t. The engine was built get to up to temp to run best. And it will keep your toes warm.

marc69
14-01-13, 10:05 PM
Hope fully will s;ightly improve the fuel consumption? and reduce engine wear?

Benn
14-01-13, 10:22 PM
Yes. As the engine will over fuel when cold. To much fuel in the bores isn't good either.

mowgli
15-01-13, 09:40 AM
so they stuck an astra diesel stat in.... but probably paid 300% tuning tax

marc69
16-01-13, 04:03 PM
the thermostat is a peice of piss to acess its sitting high up on the left hand side of the engine, pull off the top hose think its 2 or 3 bolts holding the thermostat housing on, then reverse that process, refill and bleed

Thanks, it was very easy, nearly as easy as the ohv, it's just a jubilee clip, changed a few of them in halfords after buying them!

I didn't rebleed the system, just put the fluid that came out back in, drove it and it didn't explode...................

turbojolt
16-01-13, 04:19 PM
i was thinking it would have been a good time to flush the coolant and refresh it mate, or has it been done recently?

marc69
16-01-13, 04:20 PM
i was thinking it would have been a good time to flush the coolant and refresh it mate, or has it been done recently?

looked very fresh, blue rather than rust coloured....unusual?

turbojolt
16-01-13, 04:22 PM
dont think ive ever bought a car and it have good anti-freeze, normally just rusty water in most peoples cars lol

marc69
16-01-13, 04:33 PM
The guy seems to have loved it, he has phoned me several times to ask if I'd sell it back. I went off to view three redtops, two were brilliant in the pictures with great figures etc and this one which didn't look as great. I saw this one before I looked at the other two. I knew instantly that the seller was genuine and the car. Came back after viewing the others, he was really helpfull with everything. Even left insurance on it to save me for getting home.

Long long time ago since I met such a genuine seller. (so long as it doesn't collapse now!)