PDA

View Full Version : Front brake ducts

Iain
13-01-13, 08:38 PM
Planning to try out some brake ducts and different pad choices on my 2013 trackdays. Won't go into detail of which pads as I've started loads of threads on pad choices!

After pics/part recommendations of anyone that has done it on a Nova

Current thinking is duct on top sides of the front bumper, holesaw through the end bits of the front panel where the wing bolts to, run some tube (50mm?) through the inner wing and down to point at the disc/caliper

Iain
13-01-13, 08:39 PM
Example of what I mean!

http://media2.turbosport.co.uk/2011/5/2012080620031509092014.JPG

Stuart
13-01-13, 08:41 PM
Funnel it right at the font and 25mm pipe will be enough and save vast routing headaches.

Iain
13-01-13, 08:48 PM
Cheers for the heads up on size, measured up and I reckon I could comfortably fit 50mm in the arches without the wheels catching so I'll see what other sizes are available

mowgli
13-01-13, 08:53 PM
iain, is it worth investing in or hiring a heat probe? to find out what temps you are currently getting?? i'd imagine that over cooling could be just as bad as under cooling

maybe playing with a pitot tube/manometer on the road will find you a spot that has higher air pressure to locate the ducts. ok, it will look a bit odd driving down the road with a couple of pipes taped to the bumper, but it might work better.... & its got to be better than the team who took a 6r4 to dakar... the drove round the m25 with smoke bombs taped to the front to see where the air flowed!!!

Iain
13-01-13, 09:00 PM
The pads I've swapped to are the ones that faded after 7 odd laps of Doninngton a full attack but provide very good sharp cold bite for road use, so I wasn't thinking over-cooling could be a problem?

Regarding placement I think it's more a case of where I can route the pipework and not where the highest pressure is, unless you reckon there's a chance where I put them will be absolutely useless and not cool at all?

mowgli
13-01-13, 09:03 PM
it can happen...

remember the nissan sunny gti-r/pulsar 4x4 thing??? the air ducts on that proved to be the best part of useless on rally stages, but looked cool (for a shonky looking nissan granny car) on the road

if you happen to put the ducts in a place with a negative air pressure, it won't do a damned thing

Iain
13-01-13, 09:44 PM
Been investigating the above mentioned tools and can't find anything that I could attach to the bumper to work out the best location... Any help please!

mowgli
13-01-13, 09:48 PM
some clear plastic pipe, and a basic water manometer, as in a u bend on a board with measurements marked on it... nothing cleverer than that.

Mike
13-01-13, 09:51 PM
Simple fix, use Vectra GSi ducts that attach to the bottom arm. Plastic OEM part. No drilling, no cutting, no fuss.

Stuart
13-01-13, 09:52 PM
What pads were they?

Novasport
13-01-13, 09:55 PM
What about ducts on the tie bars similar to the ones on the Astra G & Vectra arms

MK999
13-01-13, 09:56 PM
The whole front bumper will the be the highest pressure region on the entire car, so you can't go wrong with forward facing. It's going to have a <insert current speed> wind blowing down it at all times.

Iain
13-01-13, 10:06 PM
Will check out the OEM parts cheers! I have some splitter intakes and ducting from an E32 7 series I could try too.

Stuart gone back to the 1144 Mintexs as the others weren't nice on the road as I was struggling to get heat in them.

Stuart
13-01-13, 10:13 PM
Ahhhh, no wonder you faded them in 7laps.... 1155's are the same feel but last 3-4times longer.

And brakes don't need heat to work, they just get better that's all.

Iain
13-01-13, 10:18 PM
Yeah? Guaranteed the same feel at the lower temperatures? Hoped this thread wouldn't turn into me buying yet more pads, damnit lol

Stuart
13-01-13, 10:22 PM
95% the same, they were great on my VX even after using pfb 97's which were batty but excellent.

1144's are a great road pad but shouldn't be permitted on track.

Iain
13-01-13, 10:34 PM
My goal has always been to have a road usable track car without the need to change a heap of parts to make it work on one or the other. Hence the thinking behind ducts, keep the 1144s cooler and see how they get on. Might try it anyway and see what happens nothing to lose if I take spare pads to my next track day