PDA

View Full Version : Best Springs for a GSI?

b943weg
12-01-13, 10:20 PM
Hello all,
my '91 GSI has been lowered by a previous owner on a budget, and as such the ride is terrible. Its far too hard, crashing and banging on any roads that aren't billiard table flat (i.e. all roads!).

What springs does anyone recommend? I want as near to standard ride height as possible (-20mm max), and either standard or slighter firmer spring rates. The car is running the standard 14" 3 spokes and standard tyre sizes

I look forward to seeing what you recommend..

Cheers
Martin

meritlover
12-01-13, 11:08 PM
standard GSI springs seem to offer the solution to most of your problems.

b943weg
13-01-13, 05:02 PM
any ideas where I can get hold of some OE spec standard GSI springs? Vauxhall do not have them any more, and motor factors seems to be unrealiable...you ask for a part number for GSI springs, and then for 1.2 springs...and they give the same part number...muppets!

paul james
13-01-13, 05:12 PM
Might be better off getting them from someone breaking a GSi (or GTE - presumably they are the same), can always sand them down and paint them if you want them looking like new.

Balley
13-01-13, 05:16 PM
Just looked on the bay and found some new standard ones for £57 inc postage

mowgli
13-01-13, 06:20 PM
you should be careful what you buy, as the gte/gsi used front dampers with the spring seats welded on lower. most aftermarket ones use the non gte/gsi spring seat position, then they use really short springs to get the ride height, which causes the dampers to hit the bump stops....

b943weg
13-01-13, 06:49 PM
Mowgli...exactly what I've found...care is required 'cos people havn't got a clue what they are selling. I bought front shocks for a GSI about 5 months ago..should check they are actually GSI length. Does anyone know a useful dimension to confirm that mine are indeed GSI strut...e.g. dimension from upper mount to upright to lower surface of spring cup? That would be pretty useful.

Anyone know of a reliable spring supplier for Novas?
Balley....the ones on ebay are the ones I've got in touch with who think all Novas had the same springs...

I have been considering second hand ones, but a bit dubious about fitting 20 year old springs that have already done 150,000 miles (although all cars being broken have allegedly done 70k...lol)

paul james
13-01-13, 06:58 PM
I have been considering second hand ones, but a bit dubious about fitting 20 year old springs that have already done 150,000 miles (although all cars being broken have allegedly done 70k...lol)

I would think second hand ones will be fine, they made springs a bit better in those days it seems. Modern ones made of cheapy steel tend to fatigue and snap much more quickly.

mowgli
13-01-13, 07:23 PM
/\ its apparently all to do with how the ends are finished.... they used to be done with a bit more care,

i've been searching for a decent online damper catalogue, and it appears that for mainstream supply, the gte/gsi ones have all superceded to the longer non gte/gsi type..... which is identical to the corsa b..(cough cheaper on ebay cough)

b943weg
13-01-13, 07:28 PM
Exactly Mowgli, its a mightmare trying to rind 'real' standard GSI springs
Anyone know what the free length of the GTE/GSI springs should be? Of the correct shock body length?
If not, I'll have to get a set made from a custom spring maker

mowgli
13-01-13, 07:34 PM
the original springs were the same length on the front as std ones, but a bit stiffer, but the rears were shorter, i think it was 25mm shorter.

the problem with speccing springs is that you need to know what the poundage rating of your existing ones is as well as their compressed & uncompressed length, so you can let a spring company know your requirements..

an old school trick used back in the day was that the rs2000 used the same diameter front spring as the nova, so as long as you could spec a spring, they were very cheap..

b943weg
13-01-13, 07:54 PM
Coilsprings.co.uk reckon that they can make a set of springs to OE spec, no problems. I guess that they have a spec catalogue or something.

I want the spec that Vauxhall gave the car. They know more about setting the car up for a good balance betweeh confort and handling than most..Its how it get the correst springs that the issue as my local Vauxhall dealer reckons they're obsolete stock.

I need to confirm my front damper length is correct for a GSI before I buy the springs. If thats wrong, then I might as well buy the pair of secondhand front struts off ebay. Then search for a set of correct GSI spec rear springs

mowgli
13-01-13, 08:15 PM
ring some proper spring makers & ask them if they have done them before

b943weg
18-01-13, 08:57 PM
BUMP...anyone have any other suggestions of the best psring choice for a GSI?
I've made lots of calls today, and no-body stocks the standard parts anymore. Companies, e.g on eBay, say they are GSI ones but the same part number springs are the ones they give foe every other model. Useless.