PDA

View Full Version : Up-rated clutch

NOV4_SPORT
08-01-13, 11:38 AM
Hey all

My sport is needing a new clutch, Iam planing on rebuilding the 1300 quit soon and having the head worked on for bigger valves etc carbs re jetted and having a few other bits done as well, so should be around 115/120 odd bhp. Now is it worth going for an uprated / paddel clutch or am I best getting just a normal clutch.

Having never driven a car with a none std clutch I don't know what the advantages or affects uprated clutch's are

All info and advice will be really appreciated !

Iain

Benn
08-01-13, 12:55 PM
I didn't like the feel on a paddle clutch, as they are on or off. Not like a normal clutch with is progressive. Try and drive one before you buy if you can..

meritlover
08-01-13, 01:05 PM
i would keep the standard clutch, its unlikey there will be such an increase in torque that the std plate gives issues. its not what you prefer the feel of, its what your engine needs. I.e there is no point fitting a paddle clutch if a standard one doesnt slip. if the heaviest pressure plate on a standard friction plate slips...you have few options left other than a paddle.
It also depends what you are using it for. A daily driver is aweful with a paddle.
As ben with 2 N's says, try and get a shot of both.

mowgli
08-01-13, 01:59 PM
stick with the std clutch. it will cope with that sort of power easily

NOV4_SPORT
08-01-13, 03:16 PM
Hey thanks for all the info and opinions on this lads, just going to order up a new standard clutch mibi Lucas or valeo

Thanks

Stuart
08-01-13, 03:17 PM
organic 6 paddle clutches are 'almost' indistinguishable from a 'normal' clutch.... if you go for less paddles or to sintered then you start to get into irritating land

NOV4_SPORT
08-01-13, 03:20 PM
Thanks for that stu ! Will look into the price for an organic one

Edd
08-01-13, 03:21 PM
I looked in to this mate when building up my engine

Went for a Valeo one, i will leave that in even when the turbo stuff is fitted

you already got a big valve head sorted ? as will be selling mine soon (1mm oversize inlet and exhaust valves, Piper springs fitted)

meritlover
08-01-13, 03:22 PM
i'd rather be up sh1t creak without a paddle.