PDA

View Full Version : Info on strengthening plates please

Martin.p
07-01-13, 10:35 PM
I've been looking around the net and in the articles section about stitch welding bay/car for fitting a c20xe I've seen the kits with different numbers of parts in kit.
My question is not does it need them, but do I need to buy them? Can I make them? Meaning is it vital there just the right size? Or have to be made from something particular?
How thick are the plates?
I've seen threads about making your own gearbox mount rather than paying for parts that someone else made (just so you have bolt up and go parts)

I've seen ones for sale that have a ring for the top of the strut but I've not seen one on any threads??

Reasons/opinions please. :)

marc69
07-01-13, 10:50 PM
This is my next step with my car too. It is a converted redtop with welded engine mounts and stitch welding on the turrets but that is all the strengthening I can see no work on the chasiss. Depends on what is necessary I suppose?

chrisd1986
07-01-13, 10:58 PM
You can make them if you have a template and you would be best off using 2mm steel for streanth. There was a lad i used to hang round with who bought a set of chris astley ones and made mdf templates from them and hasnt bought a kit since

Martin.p
07-01-13, 11:06 PM
Ooooo. Templates would be well handy! I was thinking they'd be twice as thick!
Seen lots of pics of them and of where they go so might just map some out against the car with cardboard and make some of my own.

chrisd1986
07-01-13, 11:31 PM
You could do, aslong as you get them right it should be fine the only thing you will have to buy is the strut top mounts or cut some off a cavalier

kbnova
07-01-13, 11:53 PM
so whos buyin the plates to sell the templates?

Novasport
08-01-13, 12:02 AM
I have a set of new genuine strut top plates if one of you needs them? £25 posted, PM me.

GRUNT 16V
08-01-13, 10:35 AM
just buy the kit lot less hassle and for needing them !! i would be fitting them to any nova that i would own