PDA

View Full Version : Cellulose paint

gte-87
07-01-13, 08:15 PM
Hi what do people think of cellulose paint? Thanks dan

G-nova
07-01-13, 09:03 PM
Its very cheap for a reason very thin when dries it dries by solvent evaporation and its mixed up with thinners so as it dries the paint film lessons so you need to put lots of coats on it. It cant be polished up by machine as normal compound doesn't work on it - only T-cut works not many people know this but T-cut was made for cellulose paints and wont work on the modern 2k (2pack) products! but they still try lol -will be very hard graft if flatting and polishing will be all by hand.also another bad point is its not chemical resistant and so petrol and other chemicals will damage the paint surface I would go with a 2k paint and use a 2k curing accelerator called U-POL ROCKET makes 2k paints n primers go of faster great if your not in a spray booth

Jon_nova1
07-01-13, 09:18 PM
pretty much what's said, if you mix it 50/50 with thinners by the time its dried its half the thickness, personally i can't knock it, it makes an easy spray job and any imperfections can be easily worked out

Martin.p
07-01-13, 09:31 PM
I'm also interested in opinions on this subject, I'm planning to spray my car myself. (Never done it befor) but everyone has to start somewhere is my opinion.

From what I read cellulose drys by evaporation. 2pk drys by heat. Water base drys by evaporation. But takes longer than cellulose and increases the time bits could land on it. So I ruled that out.

So cellulose or 2pk?

I 'read' that painting with 2pk was dangerous due to the chemicals involved and without the right mask and things you can knock yourself out on the fumes?!? Plus making it hot enough to bake paint was a bit of a mission as the more you seal the room to keep heat in the less you can get away from fumes?!?

But you do get a better paint job!

So because I want to be able to do my car plus all the small bits like rear beam, lower arms etc i thought I'd go for cellulose.
Plus I'm not wanting the best show paint job out there! I've got LOADS of cutting and welding to do and I just want it all one colour at the end :)

But reading your comment about curing accelerator (G nova) I'm interested to hear/read more on it!

meritlover
07-01-13, 09:35 PM
i know that cellulose is very easy and forgiving to work with. and also some novas can look odd if sprayed in over glossy 2k paints.

if you have not sprayed before cellulose is good to learn on

Martin.p
07-01-13, 09:37 PM
i know that cellulose is very easy and forgiving

if you have not sprayed before cellulose is good to learn on

This sound like its for me for sure :D

G-nova
07-01-13, 09:47 PM
2k dries by chemical reaction 2pack basically means mixed with 2 parts paint and a hardener heat basically speeds up the reaction normal pot life of a 2k paint or primer is 4-8 hours at room temp but if you add U-POL ROCKET into the mix it will go off in less than half the time. if you then add heat it can go off in half hour. a heat gun a fan heater or even a hair drier but not a space heater (gas adds moisture into the air) 2k is a more resilient product like I said before if you spill petrol, thinner, or any chemical on cellulose it will burn into it straight away I don't recommend it at all. about the fumes cellulose has fumes also which are dangerous to health you can buy a disposable mask that will be fine for the fumes for up to 36 hours at a time although in the trade it is law to wear full face air fed just because we do it all day everyday and will end up very ill when older if not used. people didn't like 2k back in the day as it put alot of small businesses out of business as the couldn't afford all the extra equipment needed to use it ie masks and machine polishers and booths also.

personally if doing it at home I would get a 2k paint with hardener and a disposable mask for fumes called isocyanate's and a heater some U-POL rocked and 2000 wen n dry paper and polisher and G3 compound. stick a couple extra coats on panel so you can flat out any dirt inclusions with the 2000WnD then polish back up

therealnovaboy
07-01-13, 09:47 PM
I sprayed my nova with cellulose, pretty chuffed with how it came out. its quite easy to work with but you have to put on a good few coats. I sprayed mine in the garage with no extractor system. the problem i have is the overspray in the air settled bacy on the paint which had to be flatted and polished after.

I used normal polishes on it but found it got pretty warm with the amount you have to work it. A spritser bottle with water close by helped a lot.

I have found that the cellulose has a deeper colour than normal paint. im sure you can get a lacquer in cellulose as wel but have never seen this and what it looks like.

pics here:
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?161185-My-1.6-8v-itb-nova

Stuart
07-01-13, 09:50 PM
my first go at painting was with 2K and a disposable mask, came up a treat even though I'm an impatient goon when it comes to stuff like that.

G-nova
07-01-13, 09:53 PM
I sprayed my nova with cellulose, pretty chuffed with how it came out. its quite easy to work with but you have to put on a good few coats. I sprayed mine in the garage with no extractor system. the problem i have is the overspray in the air settled bacy on the paint which had to be flatted and polished after.

I used normal polishes on it but found it got pretty warm with the amount you have to work it. A spritser bottle with water close by helped a lot.

I have found that the cellulose has a deeper colour than normal paint. im sure you can get a lacquer in cellulose as wel but have never seen this and what it looks like.

pics here:
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?161185-My-1.6-8v-itb-nova

Looks a top job you have done their mate fresh out the box as we say lol well done

Benn
07-01-13, 10:09 PM
They stopped using it years ago for a reason. 2pac is nicer and easier to work with, plus if you wanna put 2pac or water over the top you can.
Celly with react with any kind of thinners. Ie: paint 2pac over celly and it reactivate and will craze up or go all slimey.

Martin.p
07-01-13, 10:21 PM
Will it all go wrong painting painting cellulose over 2pk as well??

Guessing mine is 2pk at mo because its metallic? ( all metallic is 2pk? Correct??)

Guess there must be something I can put on first as a barrier if needed??

Benn
07-01-13, 10:37 PM
Not sure on that, never done it that way. I'd use 2pac, get a good twin filter mask (3m make very good ones most body shops use to paint with and a paint suit)
You'll get a much nicer finish with 2pac.

You can get sealing coats. But they'll be 2pac.

Martin.p
07-01-13, 10:40 PM
Thanks, a lot more reading to do me finks.
I'm along way off paint at the mo (thankfully)

meritlover
07-01-13, 10:53 PM
my first go at painting was with 2K and a disposable mask, came up a treat even though I'm an impatient goon when it comes to stuff like that.

unfortunately however, no one will ever be able to match your natural ability ( even if you are a self confessed goon). im sure your project threads demonstrate this.

for the rest of us mortals, spraying with cellulose gives a bit more time to work with it before it cures. if you keep it wet and lay it thick you will be able to flat and cut it back to a good finish.

and again, as i have said before 2k in some colours just doesnt suit a nova. this may sound odd but you may not know until you see for yourself.

Stuart
07-01-13, 11:09 PM
inspite of what someone else, infinitely better qualified than I regarding paint stating the same...... really doing well regarding the content of your PM a little while ago :edd

More time to do what exactly, if it starts to sag/run you are funked anyway so using 2pak means you can get it cured faster and fixed faster.

novalovingned
07-01-13, 11:33 PM
Ah cellulose paint. Personally don't think I'll be using it again. I opted to use it after reading "it's easy to work with", "you can buff it to a nice finish"

IMO it's harder than you think.

Decided to paint my engine bay. So rubbed it down very well. Cleaned of all dust etc, mixed primer up. Painted the bay, must have been to thick a coat. Spidered/crinkled up and lifted every layer of paint that was on top of the original colour. I was bad!
Don't know why it reacted so badly tbh, I put it down to the celly primer reacting with the rubbed down 2pk that it was painted in before or to thick a coat of primer and the chemical vapour couldn't escape.

Top coat: after days of re prepping and primer again it was ready for paint. Again it started to very slightly crack again. This time I knew it wasn't applied to thick, I gave it plenty of thin coats. So anyway, got it looking "passable" in the end.

I don't have a clue what went wrong and I was positive I'd done the necessary homework. Obviously not lol

Might give 2pk a go next lol

Anyone have any ideas?

16v Nova Kev
07-01-13, 11:54 PM
I love these threads.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg8/16vnovakev/Popcorn_nommer.gif

brainsnova
08-01-13, 12:14 AM
I would just leave it to a painter in the trade.

G-nova
08-01-13, 12:18 AM
Ben is right you can get sealers and bar coat which is ment to stop reactions between different types of paints but these to are 2pack products so the best way to do it is buy a little extra 2 pack high build primer and put 2-3 vert light dusty almost coats on then proceed normal coats but not very wet or heavy what you are trying not to do is let the solvent in the primer soften the original paint underneath as this is when it reacts with it so few dustys n then normal coats doesn't matter really how the finish is with primer as you can rub it down for a nice finish to paint over a quick test to see what type of paint is on your car b4 painting is get some thinners on a rag and give surface little wipe if it wrinkles up it cellulose if it just wipes paint off its 2k with a hardner if it dosnt do much it's got lacquer on it. U can get metallic 2k also

novalovingned
08-01-13, 12:29 AM
I would just leave it to a painter in the trade.

Been there done that with the nova. Thousands spent. Thought I would try myself for a change. Would try again for sure if I had the time these days.

So what is it you like about these threads Kev? Is it other peoples misfortunes? The fact that you know better? Please elaborate.

16v Nova Kev
08-01-13, 07:26 AM
The amount of mis information that's usually posted in these threads.

Benn
08-01-13, 08:00 AM
The amount of mis information that's usually posted in these threads.

Speak up then, why bother replying and not helping?

Martin.p
08-01-13, 08:07 AM
Speak up then, why bother replying and not helping?

+1

I could do with all the helpfull info possible :/

16v Nova Kev
08-01-13, 08:52 AM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/search.php?searchid=666954

Read this then

meritlover
08-01-13, 09:22 AM

Read this then

i did but it wasn't very interesting

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

16v Nova Kev
08-01-13, 09:24 AM
Worked for me

meritlover
08-01-13, 09:31 AM
post the thread URL rather than the search form

GRUNT 16V
08-01-13, 10:33 AM
2 pak it

Benn
08-01-13, 12:50 PM

Read this then

Linky no worky.

jonn
08-01-13, 12:58 PM
I am using 2 pak paint spraying my nova. It will be used for motorsport. So it does not have to have a show finish.

I got all paint, hardener,primer and thinners for €120 and filler and sand paper was about 50 so it works out very cheap I think.

Just a quick question, when the last coat of paint is applied and dried what is the best way to get a good finish? What to flatten it with and what polish?

jonn
08-01-13, 12:58 PM
Double post

Benn
08-01-13, 01:01 PM
1500 wet and dry on a rubber pad, Bit of soap in ya water. Keep it nice and wet.
Then polish it back with g6 and a mop/buffer/da what ever.

skud52
08-01-13, 01:05 PM
I'd only nib the high spots and use 2000 wet and dry, doing anymore will only cause loads of work, best to get s good finish straigt from gun

gte-87
08-01-13, 07:16 PM
Thanks everyone for help a lot to think about and a lot of great info thanks dan

Benn
08-01-13, 07:30 PM
I'd only nib the high spots and use 2000 wet and dry, doing anymore will only cause loads of work, best to get s good finish straigt from gun

True, all depends on how nice the finish from the gun is.. And how picky you are..lol

skud52
08-01-13, 10:20 PM
True, all depends on how nice the finish from the gun is.. And how picky you are..lol

Ive found that as long as you add some 2k thinners (10%ish) and take your time, slowly lay a decent coat down, dont rush adding more coats to soon then the finish will be spot on. I think it you're after a truely decent finish then you need to go base coat and clear, which is totally different to both cellulose and 2k

G-nova
08-01-13, 11:32 PM
everyone has their own style/technique (sort of) - when spraying as long as you still achieve the desired finish at the end its all good. sometimes you can ruin a job flatting it down end up with scratches from flatting paper or even from buffer'polisher. I'm a big fan of getting finish straight from the gun and de-nibbing any dirt inclusions that may decide to end up in job. Using a decent gun, correct pressure and correct mixing ratio and not to fast a hardener is a massive factor when applying clear coat.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/537555_4918542003468_371998910_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/432331_4897727203111_1694855183_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/409172_3189929469235_1747501266_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/18315_4872232325755_1358561248_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/29629_4840662656533_1101928509_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/540777_10200144052266136_1501360644_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/602775_10200144052506142_909062335_n.jpg

G-nova
08-01-13, 11:34 PM
Thought I'd be cheeky and throw a few shiny shots up lol
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/576774_3839830796362_1553606185_n.jpg

16xe_chris
08-01-13, 11:55 PM
Get a water/moisture trap for your airline as well lol

If your going to be painting inside your garage put a bit of water on the floor to help stop any dust kicking up.

Benn
09-01-13, 12:04 AM
Dust can be a major player in a paint job. Having worked in a bodyshop with a crap oven, flatting and polishing was a every job must.

G-nova
10-01-13, 08:15 PM
Yep defo need water down on floor and moisture trap good shout