PDA

View Full Version : dash wiring redtop

marc69
06-01-13, 06:04 PM
I have just bought a redtop nova, it is on basic clocks so today I tried fitting gsi ones.

The rev counter did not work and I know nothing yet re these engines apart from it moves!

Is there a place I can wire up (similar to a small block unit and coil) to get the rev counter working?

Also, for the oil pressure gauge, with the oil sender from a small block fit on the redtop?

Thanks

andyredtop83
06-01-13, 07:15 PM
You need a double pin oil pressure sender such as one from a mk1 sr/ sport/ GTE/ GSi and it should fit the xe in place of the single oil pressure sender unit.

marc69
06-01-13, 07:58 PM
You need a double pin oil pressure sender such as one from a mk1 sr/ sport/ GTE/ GSi and it should fit the xe in place of the single oil pressure sender unit.

That's fine, I have one of those, just the rev counter now. Thanks

vx kev
06-01-13, 08:52 PM
For your rev counter link the Green wire from the wiring at the ecu direct to the green wire at the back of the clocks, simple way imo! Should be a cluster of wires seperating of from the main loom harness near the ecu, all this depends on how and where your car was wired up at and ecu location. Usually by the fuse box though!

marc69
06-01-13, 10:11 PM
Thanks Kev, I'll have a look tomorrow, the ecu is just above the fuse box. Also there is a connection box witj nothing attched on the passenger shelf, I have no idea what it is.....

marc69
07-01-13, 05:52 PM

How do you remove the oil pressure sender from the redtop, I cannot get access at all to get selfgrips etc in.

andyredtop83
07-01-13, 06:03 PM
How do you remove the oil pressure sender from the redtop, I cannot get access at all to get selfgrips etc in.

If i remember rightly i put mine on axle stands and removed the offside front wheel to get better access through there.

marc69
07-01-13, 08:51 PM
If i remember rightly i put mine on axle stands and removed the offside front wheel to get better access through there.

That's what I did, , I even undid the hub to strut mounts so I could move the hub around but, without an exact spanner or mega deep socket, I couldn't get self grips in the tiny amount of access. I'll have to have another try sometime!

marc69
09-01-13, 08:17 PM
For your rev counter link the Green wire from the wiring at the ecu direct to the green wire at the back of the clocks, simple way imo! Should be a cluster of wires seperating of from the main loom harness near the ecu, all this depends on how and where your car was wired up at and ecu location. Usually by the fuse box though!

Thanks Kev, yes there was a cluster and hey presto the green wire did it. Thanks, just access to the oil sender to figure out.

vx kev
09-01-13, 09:07 PM
Thanks Kev, yes there was a cluster and hey presto the green wire did it. Thanks, just access to the oil sender to figure out.

No probs mate, ive changed a sensor from underneath before with everything still in place. Its just perseverance & trying to find a tool that will gets in im afraid, if i remember i got a spanner in at a stupid angle and was only able to get maybe a couple mm of movement at a time until it was loose enough to turn with fingers. Getting the other one in is easier as it needs a smaller spanner :)
Other option which is a bit Ruffus would be to break the sensor if your not needing it again which might allow you to get a socket/rachet onto it!