PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein shocks question?

leggattr
02-01-13, 05:55 PM
Looking at the front and rears listed for the nova on the bay and the blacks come up cheaper than the yellow ones. What's the difference between them?
I'm only looking for road use and would keep standard springs.
Anybody with the know able to shed some light?

garyc
02-01-13, 06:56 PM
The black will be twin tube and the yellow, mono tube. On the fronts the thick piston means they are inverted mono tubes where the piston is fixed and the silver tube moves up and down. The tighter tolerances for making mono tubes is probably reflected in the price.

mk1nova_rich
03-01-13, 07:29 AM
Black ones are OEM+ suitable for standard springs or mild lowering. I have a set of black Bilsteins on my Corsa C along with some Eibach -30mm springs. It handles really nicely, retains the ride comfort and quality of standard but is stiffer and rides bumps in the road really well.

boffer8
03-01-13, 10:24 PM
As mk1nova_rich said, the black ones are OEM+ so slightly better valving meaning that handling will be slightly better with better quality springs and so long as you don't drop it more than 25/30mm you will ok as bottoming the dampers can be possible with a drop more than this.

The yellow ones, especially the thick tube versions ( like I have for sale ;) ) are for more competition use as the standards of production are higher, valving is better quality and better quality materials are used for internal bushes etc. they can also be purchased for -60/80 drops.

I have some thick tube -30 drop thick tube fronts, and group A rears, pm me if your interested? ;)

Novasport
03-01-13, 10:47 PM
The yellow Bilstein Cups are the best fixed platform shocks you can buy. The black ones are just standard spec shocks.

Edd
04-01-13, 02:57 PM
i would never use the black ones

i bought a set years back, they kept leaking, had about 3 sets on warrentee until the shop in town where i got them from said he'll just give me my money back

Graeme
04-01-13, 03:03 PM
I also run the group a yellows and they are far better than anything else I have ever owned, not dead harsh or bangy but still very confident through the bends