PDA

View Full Version : Corsa B C20LET

rhyslj91
31-12-12, 02:39 AM
Hi guys, I have been saving for some time and am looking at buying a corsa B C20LET within the next few months. I was just wondering if anybody could give me any tips on problems I should be looking out for . Any help, or if you know for any that are for sale would much appreciated. Thanks

therealnovaboy
31-12-12, 06:21 AM
I Dont know much about the C20let engine itself but look for a decent build quality as you would any car thats had an engine conversion E.G wiring quality, missing bolts, if the engine bay is a mess then most likely it is a dog and better avoided. Also check, smoke from engine, strange noises, the CV joints for noise when turning, poor cluch bite/ slipping, wheel bearings and all ball joints. Id be warey of wild hp claims and modifications that you cant see withought proof. The shell should have strengthening plates fitted and stich welded.

As for the corsa B its self some of the things to look out for is : rust under the plastic arch trim, rust around the rear wiper, rust at the bottom corners of the door, rust along the front edge of the bonnet, rusty chassis legs and sills, rust under the radiator and where the tie bars join the front (look at the corners). Also bolster wear on the seats, check all gauges are reading right. If it is a gsi make sure you check the sills under the trim.

loads of other things like what gearbox is used/ shafts/ mods but im not that clued up on the big block stuff.

meritlover
31-12-12, 10:00 AM
cracks on the B pillars are common and will likely be worse if its been ragged about with a LET in it. Safety first kids!

mowgli
31-12-12, 10:08 AM
it might be a good idea to find out if the seller has put up a build thread on a forum, so you can see how well it was put together

rhyslj91
31-12-12, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys, so obviously strengthening is a big part of the conversion. Does anybody know much about the engines and particular noises that I should be listening for or is it just the usual tapping and knocking etc? Thanks for the build thread idea aswell didn't think of that

meach86
31-12-12, 05:12 PM
B pillars only crack on the early Corsa B, I think after an N reg you should be safe. Also check down by the brake master cylinder as crap builds up and blocks the drainage hole causing rot. As for engine listen for any noises a car shouldn't make, common ones are tappets and crank shells. But these are old engines now so have a good listen for all uncommon noises and tbh it's best to take someone with you who knows about cars.

Will F
31-12-12, 05:42 PM
Leave it idling for about twenty minutes... The turbos are the weak spots. They usually smoke on idle when they get hot. Not a huge issue, but ideally needs new seals in the turbo. Also a good tool to knock the price down.As said, the biggest concern for me would be quality of the build. Look at the tie bar mounts on the front slam panel. They rot for fun on corsa bs...

Adam
31-12-12, 06:10 PM
B pillars only crack on the early Corsa B, I think after an N reg you should be safe. Also check down by the brake master cylinder as crap builds up and blocks the drainage hole causing rot. As for engine listen for any noises a car shouldn't make, common ones are tappets and crank shells. But these are old engines now so have a good listen for all uncommon noises and tbh it's best to take someone with you who knows about cars.
Ive seen plenty of s+ reg with cracked b pillars.
Its a mot fail too.

rhyslj91
01-01-13, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I see I have a lot of searching ahead of me to find one in good condition and that runs well